Logo

Chrysler 45 starting mystery

Been working on this motor for quite awhile, it's a mystery that, if I can solve, will be worth it. It starts
when it feels like it. Then it runs good and has good power. And I can shut it off as many times as I need to and it will fire right back up as soon as I touch the starter. Then when I shut it off and come back out the next day, it wont start. I try choking. Nothing. I wait a couple hours, just in case it was flooded or something. Still wont start. Even try Quick Start spray. Nothing. Then the next day I try it again and bang, starts on the first try. And the cycle starts all over. So, has anyone got a clue? Why
would an engine start so easily when it's warmed up, then refuse to start 24 hours later?
I've cleaned the carburetor 4 times. That seems to help for a couple starts, then it's back to stubborn.
Help!

Year?Serial#?
When you pump the primer bulb,does it pump up real fast?
Or take it's time to fill carb?
Try posting at iboats .com They have a Chrysler Force forum too.J

I don't know if you have magnetos, battery ignition, or electronic ignition, but don't overlook the possibility of an intermittent ignition switch, or bad connections. If the engine runs perfectly fine in all other respects, it sounds like ignition. The fact that you can't even get a cough out of it with starting fluid points in that direction.

By the way, it's not a good idea to use ether on these engines; it's easy to damage the engine if overused.

Year?Serial#?
When you pump the primer bulb,does it pump up real fast?
Or take it's time to fill carb?
Try posting at iboats .com They have a Chrysler Force forum too.J

Thanks Jerry for the feedback and suggestions. I'm keeping it all in mind. But I think I have the answer
to the mystery. It starts with 2 facts. One, my starter was old and dragging, and draining all the juice
from the battery. But it was good for a quick spin, which usually started the motor. Especially when warmed-up. Which hid the fact that the starter was faulty. If I needed more than a 3 second spin it
slowly ground to a stop. Like with a weak battery. I replaced the starter and it starts like a new one
every time. I got the starter by taking the part number, from the parts manual, to NAPA auto parts.
They cross-referenced it and found one in Texas for 138.00, where Mercury wanted 275 plus shipping

Back