Logo

Accidentally bought counter rotating lower unit

khou_lo

I accidentally bought a counter rotating lower unit and I have a standard rotating prop so now when I push the lever into forward it goes in reverse. My question is that can I just buy a counter rotating prop and fix the issue?

Well it's a 91 johnson. I destroyed the old lower unit and prop so that's why I ended up buy this one. I know for sure it's a counter rotating lower unit because it has CR stamped onto it. I know for sure I have a right handed prop because it's exactly same like my old prop. The new lower unit didn't come with a prop.

I have a friend that's going to lend me his counter rotating prop. Hopefully that'll do the trick I'll update when I have the chance to get back out onto the lake

You will be fine with a counter rotating prop. The motor and the water pump on those engines turns in the same direction as the standard engines. The direction of prop rotation is determined in the gear case.

Took it back out today with a 14 1/2 x 24 pitch prop and on wot it was at about 4600 rpms I looked in the manual and it seems I'm at a good rpm. Looks like I'm done now! :) Just need to fix some fuel gauge issues then I should be good to go!

Back