Logo

replace thermostat on a 15 hp johnson

wrango

need to replace thermostat on a 1986 15 hp johnson. i have removed the bolts from the cover, but it will not come off due to the hood latch bolt. do i need to remove the powerhead to get this cover off?

You can remove the latch.-----------Then again it might be easier to take the cylinder head off.--Everybody works to a different level and results may vary.------They moved the location of the thermostat on later models for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
i dont see how the latch can be removed with the powerhead in place, there is no room to back the bolt out. can the lower cowling be lowered?

Last edited:
well it may be easy for an expert like you to remove the latch, but i am not seeing how to do it. the bolt would have to come out towards the tstat cover and there is only 3/16 space

You are getting advice from someone with many years of experience.---You are getting advice from someone with more than 20 of those 9.9 / 15 HP motors.--You should try to remove the latch.

Just took the latch of an 84 model and it took no more than a minute.----Just removed the screw , all that was needed.

Just took the latch of an 84 model and it took no more than a minute.----Just removed the screw , all that was needed.

i got the thermostat out after i made a wrench to fit. still had trouble getting bolt out without loosening lower cowling bolts like racerone suggested. anyway its back together and cooling just fine and will be able to take grandkids out on opening day of dungeness crab season on july 1. thanks guys for all the input!

Back