Logo

1976 35hp evinrude wont run with choke open

fuzzyface

Just picked up a 35 evinrude 1976. will only ruin a short time with choke closed. quits as soon as i open it. hard to start after that. will also quit on its own after a short time. any suggestion on whats wrong. thanks

If the motor sat for a long time with fuel in the carburetor there may be blockage in there.----------Carburetors are quite simple and you could start with inspecting / cleaning it.----------You might want to search U-tube as there are numorous tutorial videos on how to clean carburetors.-------Nothing to it really.

Last edited:
Not getting fuel. Could be carb as stated. Could be fuel pump. They have a real thin diaphragm that can perforate when old. Could be blockage in fuel line. I once saw a guy had a June Bug crawl in the tank and it got sucked into the suction line of his built in tank. Try disconnect the fuel line going from fuel pump to the carb and crank the engine to see if gas comes out.

Craburetor is fouled, clean and rebuild it.

thanks to all for responding. carb was a mess. runs now. impeller went bad. wonder whats next. would like to make this one a long shaft. anyone know where i can get used parts to do it? new is unavailable or rediculously priced. thanks in advance.

Back