Logo

E-TEC 90 "No Oil" faults

grimesinma

I have a model E90DPLSOR that frequently gives me a "No Oil" warning which puts it into limp-home mode. Shutting the motor off and re-starting clears the problem. On any given outing this may happen ten or more times so it is more than just a small nuisance. I have verified that there is oil in the tank but upon inspection I also see little air bubbles in the lines. I suspect that these are causing the faults but they might be normal. What should I do to fix this problem?

Pic:
E-TEC90airbubbles-A.jpg

You need to use XD100 oil and the newest software upgrade. This trouble was a common problem on those engines (SR and SO, '04 and '05, the fault code was code 38), but was cured when you use current XD100 oil and the newest software version. We had this problem mostly during cold winterdays when the old XD100 became too thick and the software gave too fast an alarm. Today these problems are gone.

If you use the newest XD100 and the newest software than you could have a problem with the oil pump, you need to replace it. Air bubbles are normal as long as they are very small (not bigger than the tip of a needle). Bigger air bubbles (as big as the inside of the oil hose are not normal, please open the oil tank, inspect and most probably replace the oil pump.

Back