Logo

Need advice on "Broken Head"

Keithm18

Regular Contributor
Hi All. I am deperate for advice please

All my parts arrived yesterday and i have started re-assembly on my 81 Johnson 90 V4 One of the bolts that holds the head cover on the right bank just above the bottom spark plug had broken off during the tear down. i punched and drilled it and put in an easy out to remove the remaining parts and somehow during the process broke the aluminium. The part hasn't broken off completely, but there is a crack and no way i can insert a new bolt in the whole as the remainder the bolt did not come out. Does anyone have any suggestions other than finding a replacement head please? Apologies for the lack of line spacing, browser acting up today. Thx

Hi racerone and kimcrbr1. Thanks for the replies, herewith photo's of the damage.

Head Close up2.jpgWhole Head.jpg
as can be seen there is a crack in the aluminium now. I am hoping there is some way to fix this. thanks

Well this is NOT serious damage ------------If you can drill and tap that for say a 10-24 -NC screw ( or a 5 mm screw ) it will be good enuff to seal and keep water from leaking out of the water jacket. -----Not likely that you coul;d walk over to Canada from where you are .-I have lots of used cylinder heads for that motor.-----Your problem is not deemed serious by me.

Back