Logo

76 Evinrude 55hp 55673 no spark troubleshooting guide

Steven Winters

I'm new to this thread and see great information everywhere but nothing specific about what to do through the troubleshooting guide. I just picked up this boat and motor and have no spark. Following the troubleshooting guide:

1. Disconnect the black yellow kill wire and retest. If the engines now has fire, the kill circuit has a fault-possibly the keyswitch, harness or shift switch. ------ NO SPARK
  2. Check the stator resistance. You should read approximately 500 ohms from the brown wire to engine ground. -------- GOT 492 OHMS.
  3. Check the DVA output from the stator. You should have a reading of at least 150V or more from the brown wire to engine ground (while connected to the pack). ------- GETTING 476 mV!!!! BUT I CONTINUED ON.
  4. Check the timer bases resistance from the black/white wire to the white/black wire. Reading should be 10-20 ohms. ------ GOT 16 OHMS.
  5. Check the DVA output from the timer base. A reading of at least 0.5V or more from the black/white wire to the white/black (while connected to the pack) is needed to fire the pack. ------- GOT 0.45V AND I DIDN'T TRY THE TIMER BASE ADJUSTMENT YET.

Now is the problem the stator or the flywheel magnets? Thank you in advance for any of your help!

Something wrong with your interpretation of the manual.--In step #2 above.----Recheck stator resistance to ground , it should be infinity

Stator resistance is definitely 450-600 ohms from brown wire to black wire/ground. Got the new stator and in the process of replacing, noticed the old stator had 2 yellow wires instead of 1. Put the new one on anyways and it fires up with stator resistance in the 450 to 600 ohm range.

Back