Logo

need help with a 64 jw19, new points, condensors, magnitos, plugs, carb rebilt and nothing!!

pemstoy

need help with a 64 Johnson jw19 3hp, new points, condensers, magnetos, plugs, carb rebuilt and nothing!! I have plenty of spark but it will not fire! It backfired once but the other 199 pulls nothing. I set the points at top center at .020 (it has a mark on the cam (top) with an arrow pointing to the left mark). The carb is getting gas but it seems that gas may not be getting into the cylinder? I pulled the carb off and replaced the reed to be sure it had a clear airway to allow gas in the cylinder, starting fluid..nothing. Oh, I also replaced the short block with a jw20 block.

What is the proper setting for the low mixture needle? It is almost all the way in at this point. After closed how many turns out should be a good starting point?

Any suggestions? Do the magnetos have a special gap for the flywheel?

Sorry for all the questions but my arm is tired of pulling and I guess I may need direction.:eek:

If a motor does not start after 10 pulls there is definitely something wrong !----Have you tried reversing plug wires ???

So the wire has a wee clip on it that says " top " but is that correct in this case ?????-----Why not try switching.--The " backfire " is a classic symptom of plug wires reversed.

coilplacement.jpg
Did you pull the wires out of the armature plate and push them all the way into the coils you need to push the wires all the way in and then put on the boot then install the coils into the armature plate. Take a pic of the bottom of the armature plate so you know how it goes back together. If you have any play up and down on the armature plate replace the mount and ring and use a high quality lithium grease fo a nice smooth action and no slop. Then you can set the pionts to .020. note the position of the coil is criticle and if the flywheel key is not perfectly flat replace it and allways torque the flywheel nut to spec before you try and start it.

Thank you for the picture. One question, the armature plate has a groove ground into it. Should I go by the base of the armature or the groove? I have it lined up with the groove now.

Thanks.

Maybe the wire marked top is on the bottom coil , I can only guess from here.--------With all the work done, one of these motors should start in 2 or 3 pulls.

If you reversre the plug wires about the only thing can happen is the upper crankshaft seal can blow out. the surfaces the front of the coil laminates and the base where they meet needs to be flush I believe where you call a notch is what they call the boss.

Based on that I believe I am set correctly there. Thanks for the translation.

I hope it will soon start that easy. Thanks.

OK...I have switched the wires, set the low speed needle, checked the gas and still nothing. I did check the compression by putting my finger over the spark plug opening while pulling. It appears that the top cylinder sucks more then it blows, the bottom seems fine. I can not give you a measure because I do not have a compression tool. The carb drips gas out of the front when I choke it while pulling.

What do you think i should try next? Thanks for the help.

Compression gauges are dirt cheap at Wal*Mart, K-Mart, many stores... buy one. You need to make sure that the head gasket is okay and is not allowing water to enter the cylinders.

Backfires? Is the flywheel key sheared or missing? In either case, the engine would be out of time. Make sure the key is a tight fit in the crankshaft slot and the outer straight edge is vertical with the engine, NOT aligned with the crankshaft taper.

The aluminum seat that the coils sit upon has a slight taper at the edge. The metal vertical portion of the coil must align with the top inside edge of that taper to set the coil the proper distance frorm the flywheel magnets.

With the s/plugs removed, the spark must jump a 1/4" gap on that model with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it? Note that the gap is important... checking spark by using the spark plugs is a waste of time.

Spark plugs should be Champion J6C plugs gapped at .030.

Set the point gap as follows:

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubbing portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE 1:
Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

NOTE 2:
Should the cam have the word TOP imbossed on the top of it, that is a cam that could be installed upside down and this is simply telling you which side is up. It is not a position where one would set the points.

Now, if the engine is in time, has compression, spark, and the proper fuel mixture, but still will not start and run.... that leaves the carburetor. Clean and rebuld it with a complete carburetor kit. Make sure to manually clean the brass high speed jet that is located in the bottom center portion of the float chamber.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)
With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Last edited:
Compression gauges are dirt cheap at Wal*Mart, K-Mart, many stores... buy one. You need to make sure that the head gasket is okay and is not allowing water to enter the cylinders.

Backfires? Is the flywheel key sheared or missing? In either case, the engine would be out of time. Make sure the key is a tight fit in the crankshaft slot and the outer straight edge is vertical with the engine, NOT aligned with the crankshaft taper.

The aluminum seat that the coils sit upon has a slight taper at the edge. The metal vertical portion of the coil must align with the top inside edge of that taper to set the coil the proper distance frorm the flywheel magnets.

With the s/plugs removed, the spark must jump a 1/4" gap on that model with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it? Note that the gap is important... checking spark by using the spark plugs is a waste of time.

Spark plugs should be Champion J6C plugs gapped at .030.

Set the point gap as follows:

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubbing portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE 1:
Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

NOTE 2:
Should the cam have the word TOP imbossed on the top of it, that is a cam that could be installed upside down and this is simply telling you which side is up. It is not a position where one would set the points.

Now, if the engine is in time, has compression, spark, and the proper fuel mixture, but still will not start and run.... that leaves the carburetor. Clean and rebuld it with a complete carburetor kit. Make sure to manually clean the brass high speed jet that is located in the bottom center portion of the float chamber.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)
With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Wow...that is very informative. Thank you! I will head out to walmart on pick up a compression gag first. I will also check the point setting, I am almost sure they are incorrectly set based on this information. This will take a day or two to complete and I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Back