Logo

Honda BF90 hesitates or stalls at 2200 to 2500 rpms.

Ron Dilts

I have a 1998 Bf 90 that will hesitate or stall at 2200 to 2500 rpms under load. When trying to powerload on to a trailer it will always stall at 2200rpm. I have changed the water separator, fuel, deck filler with cap, checked the plugs, wires, turn the carbs to 2 1/4 turns out. At all other rpms the engine runs smooth with no sputtering, hesitations etc. I did notice the the glass fuel filter will sometimes be almost empty and at idle will start to fill up again. The bulb, which is new, often seems soft and difficult to suction fuel. Am I having a fuel starvation or clogged filter problem? Any advice will be appreciated. Ron.

Valent effort, however fuital. The issue lies inside of the carbs, in the form of the fuel bypass passage and the ecm spec's for rpm and ignition timing. Increasing pilot jet size or lowering float level will help, but never a cure. And will also increase fuel consumption. To verify, once the motor is about to stall, activate or pull the choke and notice how the unit gains power. Thanks Martin

I have tried the choke while the engine is stalling and is overchokes itself. Now I have noticed that the clear glass filter is completely drained at all speeds. Seems to me this should be full after pumping up. Is the fuel pump not keeping up. Thanks ,Ron.

Back