Logo

1960 Sea King 5 Horse

Gus Almighty

Ok got a boat for a deal, the motor doesn't work. I can get it to run briefly but then it dies.

I have found this to be a 1960 Sea King Model GG8822A Gale Products, Montgomery Ward.

I dont know a thing about this motor. No clue on gas to run or anything.

Where do I start to figure out what to do with this thing? I have been tinkering but it seems like I make it worse. Plus I have no idea what any of the knobs do on the controls.
I have sprayed carb cleaner into the gas line which seemed to help a bit but its still not running without dying. Pull cord broke so I had to replace that, and then the inner spring broke on the end so I had to do a rig job and replace the loop on the end. It seems to slip sometimes as well when pull starting.

Is this something I should take to have fixed by a pro, and what might the cost be?

Ok I found someone that had knowledge enough to help me get a look at the motor. They thought the impeller was bad because no water was coming out when we got it started.

Began taking it apart and found that the impeller was most likely recently replaced because it looked brand new. The problem was that it wasnt put back together correctly. When we took the lower unit apart, 2 caps as well as a tension spring for the main tube were just laying inside loose and not on the tube as they were supposed to be.

The problem is trying to figure out exactly how those caps and screw go back on the tube as well as pushing it all back together which we were having issues too.

Anyone have any advice on slipping it back together?

well the to caps go under the power head on the main shaft,there is a hole in the main shaft, like 6 inches for the top, u put a pin in that and u put the cap that is small then the other on the bottom and then you put the spring on that and then the top cap. and then u put the power head, if u don't know what a power head is its the motor.if u have a questions u can email me at [email protected]

Back