Logo

BF2D Propeller not turning, need help please!!

Carls421

Wondering if anyone can help me??

My Honda BF2D Outboard propeller isn't turning when the engine is running. Bearing in mind I am all new to outboards although I am a mechanic, so please be gentle....

The history of the outboard to me is very brief, It was given to me by a friend saying it wouldn't start, he has had it on his very cluttered bench for a good few months, but hasn't ever had it running.

After looking at it, the carbs bowl was detached (Threads had crumbled) so I have replaced that with a brand new one. It now starts and runs, but the propeller doesn't turn, I checked the shear pin, it was snapped so I have replaced it but still doesn't turn. Whilst inside the propeller housing I checked the gearing that goes from the drive shaft to the propeller shaft, these gears are perfectly intact, not sheered or any metal deposits.

1st question, whilst the engine is NOT running, should I be able to turn the propeller by hand? (I cannot do this)

I am guessing the outboard has a clutch? Could this be the problem? Or is is Direct Drive? How would I get into have a look at the clutch?

The Serial Number is BZBF-1308277 BF2D2 Does this help?

I am guessing the Drive shaft could be seized? But unsure of how to start to dismantle it, do I have to remove the engine first? Or is it not as complicated as that? Will all different springs and bits fall out if I try to take it apart???

Any help would be very gratefully received

Many Thanks and Kind Regards

Carl

Go to the link below and find an approximation of your outboard. It does have a clutch and it is probably stuck. These parts pages are very helpful when you're trying to figure something like this out out and you can also order from these folks and save some real coin over going to a dealer.

There is a ball bearing in the gear case that I suppose could be seized but you state that you already looked at that. The parts page (see vertical shaft + propeller in link list) doesn't show any bearings or bushings for service that support the shaft but there has to be something there that it contacts in the housing and that could be an issue. But, my first guess would be the clutch.

I've never worked on this model so I don't have any tricks or wisdom to share other than it looks pretty simple for a pro mechanic such as yourself.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2002/parts.html

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, very much appreciated and thanks for the link, quite helpful for the future.

When I said that I have checked the gear case, I mean the gears where the shaft that attaches to the propeller goes into, that shaft does move slightly, but not all the way round because the vertical shaft that its attached to (with a spline drive) does not move at all, although it does move up and down slightly which gives me the impression that it isn't actually seized? (Hope that's not too confusing)

So, to my next question, can anyone tell me how to get to the clutch? Would I need to rip the engine apart? Or can I access it in a simple way? Does anyone have a step by step Haines manual stylie guide?

Look at item #3 on this page. It is the bushing I knew should be in there but I didn't see it before. It could very well be the problem. I think you will need to pull the power head to access the clutch and, if so, you would need to take off the extension case anyway. Or, as you put it "rip the engine apart". I'd definitely go in and take a gander at that bushing. If that ain't it, you are already set to pull the head.

BTW HAYNES-CLYMER-SELOC manuals are almost useless. Helm Inc. is the only way to go for Honda shop manuals.
Good luck.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2002/BF2D2 SAB /EXTENSION CASE/parts.html

Ahh HA! This is exactly what I was lookin for! Many Many Thanks for that! I can now get to work! Many Thanks again! I shall let you know!!

Back