Logo

I have a 69 55hp Evinrude mice ate wiring looking for a wiring schematic for motor,test info for amp

outboard boy

I have a very nice 55 hp. evinrude 1969,bought new by my neighbor,always stored in heat controlled garage,he took it out,changed lower unit gear case grease, put the muffs on turned on the water hit the key and..........done smoke filled the yard, mice ate motor harness, i ran over with my extinguisher, popped the hood burned mice and wires.Now the motor and boat is mine i brought it home, separated the wires and it spun over nicely with the key, no spark,what got hurt, amplifier, any test for it, Secondly is this a points and condenser motor,
are all or any parts still available.Any help would be very greatly appreciated.Thank-you

Thanks for being so quick on the reply,yea i guess i really am going to need a manual,beautiful motor one owner to nice to not fix.Hey are there any simple ways to test my Motorola amplifier with out a ton of expensive tools,iv'e been a certified master tech. on cars for 28 yrs but, as we all know boats aint cars lol. So i am smart enough to ask,again thanks a ton for the iboat link i checked it out new harness is definitely doable, and the right way to go.Any test info on amplifier would be great.Oh do you know do they run points and condensers on these motors also,and are parts even still available.I see no sense in in buying one component and can not buy all of them. again,thanks a lot. OB

I really think that the 69-55 HP has 2 sets of points( no condensers ) and an anti reversing spring.--------------Points must be carefully set at 0.010"

Last edited:
No need to wonder about this at all.----------I own more than one of these motors and they have two identical sets of points ( breakers or contactor ) to send signals to the amplifier !!------------They both do the exact same job.

Yea I assumed it had one set of points the diagram shows only one and there is only one coil I would like to see the schematic for that motor it looks like a breaker point CD hybrid. I`m wondering what the other contactor is for?
Yes my motor does in fact have two sets of points that were set perfectly at 0.10,i forgot my model number guys,my bad 55973A,i also have only one coil as you already know. What does a CD hybrid refer to as far as this motor is concerned? My luck it will translate to rwice the money to repair lol.No worries though its a nice old motor and i will do what is necessary to restore the ol boy.IS there a free online wiring diagram for this motor so i can actually look and make an informed decision as to what i need,and how to proceed,Now i can not tell you guys how helpful you guys all are you guys really are professional,and thats how things get done ,and up and running dependably ,and thats why i joined. OK im done now lol

I hate having to concede defeat.But since you were kind enough to send me info,on all the parts,i guess i will just buy a harness and all other components,and we say,> We will just plug and play,simple, smart, safe, since i do not fish in a pond and my kids will be using it.There is only one way and that of course is the right way.You know its really kind of a shame no soldering,no burnt finger tips,no shrink wrap,i mean for me, i restore antique cars, boat's,(doing a 41 Indian scout now) Airplanes,Build 8 and 10 foot hydro's,Technology has taken all my fun lol, again thank-you for parts info.I just got back again to reply.

Back