Logo

Johnstone jw11

Mark Proie

I have a 1955 jw 11 Johnson 3hp . I think the water pump impeller needs replaced. I can't separate gear case from drive shaft housing. Any advise?

If there's a small oblong plate on the side of the long exhaust housing (hsg between powerhead and lower unit) that has two screws holding it, remove that plate. There will be a brass shift connector inside the housing... remove just one of the 3/8" bolts from it (either bolt) to release one of the shift rods. That'll allow the unit to drop off.

If no plate on that model, look for a rod right in front of that long exhaust housing that moves when you move the shift lever... that would be the same shift rod.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Thank for the quick reply, but my model does not have any gears. You just start it and it goes. If you want to go backwards you turn the motor 180'. I have looked at the on line manuals and can not find a way to separate the lower unit.

The lower unit should drop down easily after the four bolts are removed. The copper water tube should pull out of the water pump easily. The driveshaft is splined into the bottom of the crankshaft and if it was not lubricated properly when last installed, water can enter the bottom of the crankshaft and cause enough rusting to 'freeze" the driveshaft in place. If you use force to separate the lower unit, the worst that can happen is that you will ruin the water pump housing ( which probably needs replacement anyway. If the driveshaft is frozen in place, once the lower unit is removed, you can turn the motor upside down and drip penetrating oil down the driveshaft and into the bottom of the crankshaft. Hopefully that will work.

Sorry for the confusion about the shift connector access plate... I had you crossed with another member who has a similar problem.

Bobby C, above, has pretty well nailed it. Wish you luck on that frozen driveshaft.

Back