Logo

Starter installation 1986 Evinrude 90hp

bops1231

"The "Bendix" on the s

"The "Bendix" on the starter pinion jammed recently. Removed, found rust on collar, lubed. Ordered new starter, since it will probably recur. Installed new one today. Doesn't engage properly, too far from flywheel teeth. Removed. Found inboard mounting "ear" had significantly elongated hole, accounting for excess gap between drive gear and flywheel. The two "ears" on the starter are about 1/8" farther apart than on the old one, too. Given the low torque allowance for tightening, I don't think I can overcome the large hole with bolt tightening. I could shim the bottom hole on the long ear, I suppose. But would like advice from someone who has seen this problem before.
Thanks!"

The starter should fit properl

The starter should fit properly upon installation. Don't play with it. Send it back.

"I don't think it's th

"I don't think it's the wrong part, as everything else looks the same: Diameter of the pinion, size and configuration of the starter itself. It appears that the mounting "ear" was drilled incorrectly, or the case has been recycled from a used unit which vibrated enough to erode the drill hole. Alternatively, the welding on the case may have been out slightly (the angle between the two "ears" is about 1/8" greater, edge of one ear to the next), and the hole was drilled oversize to compensate. The part was made in China.

I've reported all this to the provider, Pat's Small Engine Plus, and will advise what they suggest.

jb"

"Pat's advice was to retur

"Pat's advice was to return the part. I did, then cleaned up the Bendix on the old starter, lubed it well and reinstalled. It works fine, at least for the time being. I'll just add a Q1 lubrication of the Bendix gear from now on.

For information, the part supplied by Pat's Small Engines was an ARCO part, made in China. I won't buy any parts of that manufacture again. I think there is a quality control problem, and these engines need pretty precise fitting parts.

Internet parts ordering has a distinctly negative element: If it's wrong, you pay shipping coming and going. In my case, that was $17 RT, and no benefit at all.

jb"

"John,

If the part is confi

"John,

If the part is confirmed to be defective you should not be paying the shipping either way. Sometimes it takes a while because the representative from the manufacturer has to confirm the problem.

Maybe the problem is the internet company you ordered from..."

"Latest on the returned part.

"Latest on the returned part. No communication from Pat's Small Engines. The credit card statement confirmed a refund of $87. An email inquiry on the difference between the $109.95 price and the refunded amount: There was nothing wrong with the part, and we charged the 20% restocking fee.

I suggest members here avoid Pat's Small Engines as a source for parts. I certainly will.

jb
snow.gif
"

u should at least ask for a st

u should at least ask for a store credit
and order some spark plugs or something small

Back