Logo

Hello,

Randy123

I am Randy, 5 minute old new member with a 2 day old new "used" boat. It has a 25hp Johnson model 25R79R, electric start, electric choke but I am not seeing an alternator. Should it have one? If not is it possible to install one to keep the battery up for the trolling motor or would I be farther ahead to install a small solar panel?
Thank you,
Randy

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yes some were electric start with no battery charging.-------------If it were battery charging there would be a small device with yellow wires going to it.

There is no "alternator". More like a charging circuit.
You won't find a big hunk of metal like a car.
Check out some wiring diagrams.
Best way to test is just to measure the voltage of your battery with engine running and not running, then compare.

I believe it is possible to have electric start and no charging, but I am not sure.
http://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1=e00e1455-7288-48b4-9fad-b362332d8c86&brands=ej

check battery with multi meter running/ and not running like this guy said or look to see the 3 yellow wires from your stator, have that and it charges.
question, are you running the trolling motor and motor off same battery? if so dont, even if its a dual purpose you could run it down enough to where if your motor did not start on the first 2 trys you would be stuck or have to use your emergency start kit under your cowling if it has one. your motor will only put out about 5 amps at wot(wide open throttle) and will not keep the battery charged enough to keep trolling when its low and start your motor. buy a good deep cycle marine battery and you should be able to troll at about 2-4 (1=slowest 10=fastest) on your speed setting all day

Back