Logo

Questions on purchasing a used motor. I could use some advice!!!

NaymzJaymz

Contributing Member
Hello Friends,
I've located a older used 25 HP Evinrude 2 stroke motor for sale at a reasonable price. I believe it is a early 80's tiller unit. I'm going to go look at it to see about buying it. The seller said it ran great and had great compression before being garaged. I could sure use some advice from some of you experienced guys on how to evaluate an older used motor like this. The seller says I'll have to bring my own gas if I was to hear the motor run, so what mixture of fuel should I take? Is there any difference between a gas tank for a 2 stroke than that of a 4 stroke? I've seen in some forums that some guys advocate running a richer mixture for the first gallon or so to make sure crankcase is well lubricated. How about a compression test? Will a typical automotive compression tester work? Any spark test? Sorry to go on and on, guys! Please help. Thanks!!!!!

If it has been sitting for a very long time, don't start it with out changing the impeller first.
You could make a perfect motor into a nightmare.

Auto compression tester and spark tester should be fine.
50:1 gas with TWC3 oil.
Hopefully one of the more experienced guys will chime in.
As always don't be afraid to walk, unless it looks really good and the price is low enough.

If it has been sitting for a very long time, don't start it with out changing the impeller first.
You could make a perfect motor into a nightmare.

Auto compression tester and spark tester should be fine.
50:1 gas with TWC3 oil.
Hopefully one of the more experienced guys will chime in.
As always don't be afraid to walk, unless it looks really good and the price is low enough.

you can start it if it sat a long time, if it dont start shooting water out the pee hole after about 10-15 secs then the impeller is shot or the pee hole is clogged wich happens sometimes, just because it dont pee dont mean the pump/impeller is shot but i would walk if it dont pee. before you even start it remove one of the plugs and hold it about an 1/8 of an inch from the motor or a lil closer(with the boot on obviously) and pull the rope or hit the start button and you should see a bright blue spark and it should make a snapping sound and should arc over to the engine. im sure a auto type compression guage will work if you have the right fitting to screw into the oil fill plug on the skeg/fin..DO NOT REMOVE THE PHILLIPS HEAD SCREW RIGHT NEXT TO IT, ITS THE PIVOT PIN FOR YOUR CLUTCH!! the fill plug will have a regular screwdriver slot. when u drain the oil before compression test 1 check for water in the oil, it usually comes out before the oil. if theres more than say a tablespoon or so the lower unit has a leak and do not buy it. 2 if no water check for metal shavings, there might be some stuff that feels like grit but thats metal dust from normal wear but usually the gearcase magnet collects that so it not running through your gears and oil.

oh yeah 50:1 is fine, id put an extra ounce or so myself but i like a lil richer mix to lube my motor and i dont mind buying an extra set of plugs here and there..

Back