Logo

Honda Bf50 Carb Fuel Leak from Seal ?

Uncle Buck

Hi All

Looking for Some Sound advice Please..

I have a Honda 50 Fourstroke carbed. Bf50 model

Last few Trips, My Boat has not been running well, esp at slower speed, Splutters.
Took Engine Cover off, and witnessed Fuel Leaking from a Seal (((( I Believe its a Seal )))

Please see Picture below , arrow Pointing to where fuel is leaking from, may i add that it stunk of fuel and was leaking a lot. when fault noticed, even by pressing the priming ball, it would leak fuel.

A few Questons Please.

Why Is Fuel leaking from the seal ?
Is a Big job to repair ? £££
Will the Carbs Have to taken off
Is it a Job for a Outboard Enginner, or could i have a attepmt at fixing the fault ?

Looks like the Boat will need to come out of the water, for repair :(

Many Many Many
Thanks For
Advice.
Bob

FuelleakonSideofCarb.jpg

Last edited:
You have a float valve that is stuck open. The hole that the fuel is coming out of is a vent for the carburetor bowl. You might be able to break it free if you drain the carburetor by backing the screw in the carburetor bowl and fuel will drain out of the nipple on the left side of the carb bowl. If you attach a small hose to the nipple, you can drain it into a jar.

Then holding the hose end up above the carburator, pour some Sea Foam into it and fill the bowl with Sea Foam. Tighten the drain screw on the carb bowl and let it sit overnight.
The next day, use a rubber mallet and give the edge of the carb bowl a couple of sharp raps. This may free up the needle that is stuck. If fact...you might want to try that before you go through putting the Sea Foam into the carb. That may be all it needs.

Drain the bowl again and after you tighten the drain screw again, squeeze your fuel bulb to see if it overflows.

If it does not, you have freed up the stuck float needle. Hopefully, the motor will run ok after that.

Unfortunately, none of the carbs in the picture look very good. Most likely, you will have to remove the carburetors, disassemble them and clean all the passages. If you take them off, I would clean them all...since if one is having a problem, the others are not far behind.

If you use a fuel treatment all the time, it would minimize this type of problem.

Try the simple things first.

Mike

You have a float valve that is stuck open. The hole that the fuel is coming out of is a vent for the carburetor bowl. You might be able to break it free if you drain the carburetor by backing the screw in the carburetor bowl and fuel will drain out of the nipple on the left side of the carb bowl. If you attach a small hose to the nipple, you can drain it into a jar.

Then holding the hose end up above the carburator, pour some Sea Foam into it and fill the bowl with Sea Foam. Tighten the drain screw on the carb bowl and let it sit overnight.
The next day, use a rubber mallet and give the edge of the carb bowl a couple of sharp raps. This may free up the needle that is stuck. If fact...you might want to try that before you go through putting the Sea Foam into the carb. That may be all it needs.

Drain the bowl again and after you tighten the drain screw again, squeeze your fuel bulb to see if it overflows.

If it does not, you have freed up the stuck float needle. Hopefully, the motor will run ok after that.

Unfortunately, none of the carbs in the picture look very good. Most likely, you will have to remove the carburetors, disassemble them and clean all the passages. If you take them off, I would clean them all...since if one is having a problem, the others are not far behind.

If you use a fuel treatment all the time, it would minimize this type of problem.

Try the simple things first.

Mike

Mike may i start by Thanking you for your very Informative reply.

Yesterday Spoke to a marine Engineer, And a possible way to fix Fuel Leak,
Similiar to your Option, I run the Engine until the Fuel was exhausted, and Tapped Engine Block and Seal that was leaking, I might have imagined it, but im sure i heard a little ping...... But I Re-primed the Ball and Engine with fuel. and Run Sweet, Run engine for 20 minutes at different speeds in Neutral..... And Ticked over Perfect....... But not Gave her a big Run out yet......!

If The Problem Happens Again will try your Method or even Take Carbs off.....

Question please

Is it Difficult / Possible to take Carbs off with Boat Moored, Our will the boat need to come out of Water ?

Big Thank You Again

More Knowledge gained thx To You and Others

Bob

If you have reasonable access from in the boat, and from the picture it looks like you do, you can pull the carbs in the water. The recommended procedure is to remove all three along with the intake manifold but I've also been able to remove them seperately using some flex head sockets and manuevering.

Back