Logo

1985 15 HP Johnson Out Board Motor

iggy57

Hello Everone

I have what I believe to be a 1985 15 HP Johnson Out Board Motor.
It is leaking oil from a small hole on the bottom end and hoping someone might be able to shed some light onto why it is doing this . I was hoping it may be from over filling but suspect it is a seal gone in the bottom end somewhere.

I have tried uploading a photo but not had any luck . If someone was needing a photo of where it is leaking from I could send via email or pm and see if I could show it that way .

Thanks in Advance

Iggy

Hey racerone

I am not sure of the year . I was just going by what they guy said when I purchased it. He said it was a 15 HP year 1985.

So far I can only find two sets of Numbers on it .

HE14RSF

These have been paited over and are hard to read so I may be out on one or two of the digits.

If it would help you I can take more photos and post them for you.

Hope that helps .

Last edited:
OK, that appears to be one of those " hybrid " units.--------------------Newer style engine on an older style 1960 / 1970's design 20 HP midsection and lower unit.

Could very well be normal for a 2 stroke that has been idling for a while.-----------------Gearcase can be pressure tested by most shops .----------Would cost a nominal fee to determine if there is a leak or not.-------Common for folks to think that there is a problem , when in fact there is not.

Could very well be normal for a 2 stroke that has been idling for a while.-----------------Gearcase can be pressure tested by most shops .----------Would cost a nominal fee to determine if there is a leak or not.-------Common for folks to think that there is a problem , when in fact there is not.

Thank you for your input on my question.

AsI just purchased this motor and have yet to get it into the water you may be right about me thinking there is a problem when in fact there is not. The guy I purchased it from had it mounted in a garbage can full of water and showed me the unit running .Other than smoking a bit much I think from to much oil in the fuel ,the motor performed well. I think for what it will cost, and piece of mind I will get it pressure tested like you and others have mentioned .

Thanks again to everone that gave there input on this post.

Iggy

A pressure test really isnt necessary unless you get water out of it when you change the oil. Make sure it is topped off and take it out and putt around for a day. the oil is designed to mix with small amounts of water and still lube just fine. Let it sit for a day or two and pull the lower plug if alot of water comes out then a reseal is in order if no water/little water plug it back up and top it off with oil and enjoy. Just check it every so often small amounts of water a couple tablespoons is acceptable and when you have time on the off season reseal or have it resealed. Very important to drain it and add fresh oil before storage especially if it is exposed to freezing temps water will crack the gearcase.

agreed! from the pics i saw that is nothing but unburnt oil and nothing to worry about, and also you probally wouldnt even be able to get the motor looked at for a couple/few weeks being they are usually busy as hell right now

Back