Logo

90hp rebuild gone wrong

nickhaulotte

Regular Contributor
I recently rebuilt my 95 90 hp force. I honed the block placed new pistons,rings,wristpins, retainers,roller cages,seals, impellar, carbs rebuilt. After completion we broke it in with a 25-1 mix for the first ten hrs. Yesteday I took it out on the water and ran great for half the day until the conn rod broke on the middle cyl and drove itself through the block and intake man. When I got it home I took the head off to look at the inside ( curosity) and found a couple needle bearings and the bolt the connects the rod to crank boken in the intake port. My question is.... Is there something I may have done wrong during the rebuild? I placed everything in to specs, as far as lb placed on the bolts.

Jerry used locktite threadlock on them. Linked and synced. Top cyl was running a little rich compared to rest. The bolt broke that connects rod to crank then bearings went everywhere. I don't know for sure about timing but did follow the lync and sync. Is that the proper way?

Sounds like the bearing failed first.-Then it jammed and snapped the bolt.---------------Simple question , needs an answer.----How much time did you take to line up the connecting rod caps while tightening up the 6 rod bolts to the specified torque ??????----Was it 2 minutes or 15 minutes ?

Racerone, you might be correct. I spent one whole weekend setting those bearings to the piston and to the crank. That was the most time consuming job in re building this motor. I ended up using petroleum jelly to hold the needles into place. After that was completed i laid the block down and set crank into block with main bearings in place and rotated several times. As far as the timing Jerry.... yes then lync and sync by adjusting carbs and letting off timing until it was set to proper rpm while in fwd gear while at lake.

As of right now I just have the head off. Soon the motor will be taken off leg and broken into for further investigation and parts. basically the only things good are the head, electronics, flywheel, starter, and carbs

The connecting rod caps have to be lined up perfectly so that there is a smooth joint for rollers to go over.--- Any mis-alignment and the motor goes ----Pooofffff.

Racerone.... How long would something like that take??? I guess to answer that question anytime.... I had about twenty five hrs on the motor

Back