Logo

BF15D shift shaft is stuck due to corrosion (?)

joham

Hello everybody
I am completely amateur to outboards and do not know the technical terms so please forgive me if I wrote silly things
I purchased recently a honda four stroke bf15D, about 6 years old. It was working properly but thought to replace the impeller.*
The engineer (he is not specialized in outboards) informed me that the shift shaft is stuck propably because during an older service no grease was put.*
He instructed me to put anti corrosive spray again and again and try to pull the shaft with patience.*
Likewise, a second engineer gave me the same advice
I have been putting anti corrosive since days but no luck so far.*
The *shaft appears to be stuck to the upper edge, the one opposite to propeller
Any advice how to move the stubborn shaft?*
Thank you*

Take a look at these detailed instructions on how to change a water pump. Honda has put these together for the consumer. It is for the 8 and 9.9, but the 15D is designed the same way. I think you will find that the shift shaft comes apart a little differently than you think. Pay attention to the separating of the shift shaft by loosen the two nuts.

Mike

Attachments

• ml.repaw05v.water_pump_replacement_for_bf8d__bf9.9d_outboard_motors.pdf
    286.9 KB · Views: 184
Take a look at these detailed instructions on how to change a water pump. Honda has put these together for the consumer. It is for the 8 and 9.9, but the 15D is designed the same way. I think you will find that the shift shaft comes apart a little differently than you think. Pay attention to the separating of the shift shaft by loosen the two nuts.

Mike
Thank you for your reply
I contacted the engineer and he told me he has done the procedure described in the pdf. The two nuts have been loosened already but still no luck . May be I have to sent the motor to some authorized Honda engineer.

You say it was working good before you tried to change the impeller? If so, the "engineer" really fuggazi'd sumthin' up!

If you DISCONNECT the nut from shift rod A and it is hanging there, it should move with the shift lever on the outboard. For this service, the shift lever should be in REVERSE.

Shift rod B comes out with the lower unit and, yes, cannot be removed from the gearcase. But, it doesn't NEED to be removed to change the impeller.

You say it was working good before you tried to change the impeller? If so, the "engineer" really fuggazi'd sumthin' up!

If you DISCONNECT the nut from shift rod A and it is hanging there, it should move with the shift lever on the outboard. For this service, the shift lever should be in REVERSE.

Shift rod B comes out with the lower unit and, yes, cannot be removed from the gearcase. But, it doesn't NEED to be removed to change the impeller.

Thank you for your reply. Finally the shift shaft came out after just putting some more strength and after extended use of antirust agent, so everything is O.K

Back