Logo

Looking for opinions on best brand of ignition parts.

drbridge

I am thinking about replacing the Power Pack and coils and wires on my 95 Evinrude 25HP. It looks like my choice is OEM, Sierra or CDI. I would like to know what others have experienced with the after market parts. Cost is not a factor to me. I just want the best performing and most reliable parts I can find.
Thanks

The factory parts are very reliable !------------Don't know many folks who replace light bulbs before they blow !

In my case This motor is the only source of power on My Simmons Sea Skiff (except my oars). I am going through this motor that is new to me and want to make it as reliable as possible because I use it for Fishing on the strait of Juan De Fuca. It is a good motor and I have replaced the thermostat, fuel pump, fuel lines, rebuilt carb and new starter solenoid. The ignition components are all 17 years old. If they fail I am dead in the water. I would like to start off with new stuff and keep the used parts for spares. I can't afford a new motor and the other stuff is small potatoes when you make the comparison.
This is why I am considering replacement of ignition parts also. I don't want to deal with a failure when I am several miles out on a fishing trip.
This motor also has one spot in the power band 700 to 1100rpm (trolling speed) that it seems to run rougher than it should. It idles great and runs very smooth above 1100rpm. I am suspisious of ignition parts as the cause, as I have gone through everything else I can think of. Perhaps some new parts will solve that problem also. If you can think of anything else that could cause this condition I am all ears.
Thanks

Hook up a timing light and run it in that 1000 RPM range to see if there is in fact an ignition miss ( intermittant flashing of the light ).-------------The factory parts are very reliable.-------------It is probably a better idea to have a spare 4 hp motor with you.

Back