Logo

vro pump problems how do I get rid of that thing

mstrdan

I have a 2000 johnson 200 hp ocean pro j200vxsss
have been having a lot of trouble with the vro....I want to eliminate it go to an eletric pump and pre-mix fuel+oil in tank
what oil mix should I use?? what pump pressure do I need....does it need to be high volume
where does it need to be mounted....

Please specify the troubles you have had with the VRO.
Have these troubles been caused BY the VRO pump itself, or have it been outside/other factors that have given the VRO problems in operating as intended?

The VRO pump assembly itself is well built and a reliable fuel pump ( oil side disconnected ) and repair kits are available.

where can I get the rebuild kit..II disconnected the oil side last year after I bought the boat..got it cheap it had water in the fuel tank 20 gallons of white goo had to remove tank and clean it turns out it had the wrong fuel cap...burnt out stator....rectifier..he jumped it with his pickup all the time I got it running to find the vro pouring oil into the carbs...prevous owner said he was using 3 to 4 gallons of oil per tank..disconected oil side of vro ran great after all the repairs used it 2 months at the end of last summer...had it offshore 3 times times this year ran great mixing oil in tank..on the way back in on our last trip about 15 miles from dock in it started loosing power and surging and then it died felt like I ran out of gass..pumped the priming bulb I could tell the carbs where empty..started right up had to have my friend pump the priming bulb...it ran great..lol all the way back in even at wot..I installed a micro fuell pump under the cowel and took it out the next week end it worked fine up to about 3/4 throttle past that it started surging so we ran it at 3/4 we did about 80 miles that day I didn't think there would be enough fuel volume from that little pump the high volume pumps are larger and can't be installed under the cowel..so where ever it gets mounted I gotta run a second small fuel line out of the motor and put it inline before the pump...I would much rather rebuild the vro and just use with oil disconected...but I am not gonna buy a new one for $400 and have it mess up and fry the motor ...I was told that was why the pump went not having the oul side hooked up....btw the boat is a 2000 seafox legeng 230cc -w- a 200 hp johnson sea pro j200vxsss
what oil mix is good 50 to 1 is what I've been doing....

Last edited:
not for more than 400 bucks I won't to have it mess up again now if i can get a rebuild kit and just use the fuel pump side

They are fool proof and easy to repair.--------Take it apart to see which kit you need first.-------The VRO makes an excellent fuel pump !!!----Oil side disconnected does not cause failure either !----------------Look on -----shop.evinrude.com -----for the kits.--------------------Look under " outboard accesories "-----------" Fuel systems "-----for the kits.-------You may have to try other years if you do not stumble across them.--------------------THEY ARE LISTED THERE !----Do not give up looking.

not for more than 400 bucks I won't to have it mess up again now if i can get a rebuild kit and just use the fuel pump side

(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)
(J. Reeves)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup (and fuel restriction warning if so equipped) by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quantity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine.

Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

thanks for all the info....guess I will rebuild the fuel side of the vro.....gonna keep mixing oil in the fuel..I don't have a problem with that...
thanks again...

Back