Logo

Can non-road enginse be used in marine applications?

deequu

Hi all,
I have a couple of nonroad Detroit Diesel MTU S2000-8V engines, rated at 650 BHP at 2100 rpm. Can these engines be used for marine applications (e.g., to power large boats). If possible, what modifications may be required ? Thanks so much.

I would say that pretty much ANY engine could be made to power a boat. That's why Briggs and Stratton makes an outboard!:)

You may find, though, that "marinizing" one or both of these would be difficult without several resources including a well tooled and staffed fabrication shop.

The concept itself is fairly simple.

1. Find a way to mount them in the boat and hold them down.

2. Purchase or develop a cooling system utilizing the water the boat is riding in to take away the heat of combustion. Typically a liquid to liquid heat exchanger.

3. Buy or fabricate water cooled exhaust manifolds. Don't want to bake out the engine compartment. Unlike a truck or bus, you will want to walk around in there. Although I guess some elaborate venting would suffice.

4. Purchase or fabricate a means of coupling and taking power from the flywheel and sending it to a propeller. Marine transmission or drive.

5. Remote controls to the wheelhouse. Ignition/start/stop switch and throttle/shift.

Voila! Yer done.

G'day,
If your engines have come from a power generating back ground the fuel control govenor may require modifying for variable speed marine use, also bell housing adaption will need to be done to accommodate marine transmissions.

Back