Logo

50 horse johnson

bperry

Contributing Member
I have a 50 hp johnson on my pontoon an it is very difficult to start the first time. It fires right up and then cuts off. fuel bulb is hard. I can push the key in and it helps some.Compression is good on both cyls and new plugs. After it starts finally and I run wot for 5 min it will start and run great all day. I must be missing something ...

Is the choke / primer solenoid working , do you hear a click when you push in the key ?-----------Throttle only lever must be lifted and key must be held in while cranking.------Key must be pushed in if motor falters after initial start untill in warms a bit.

Thank racerone, the primer solenoid is working.I have been leaving it in neutral and attempted to keep it running by pushing in the key. I will move the throttle only up and try it

finally had a marine mechanic look at the engine and he found, carbs need ovehaul, vro injecting too much oil, linkage out of adjustment. he also installed a fuel water separator and removed the vro. Now starts great and runs great tops out about 5800 rpm all for $180. which I thought was a great price.

Back