Logo

1999 Johnson 150 Power Trim and Tilt Help

bobbyjoe

Hi fella's... New to the forum and could really use a bit of help.

Had to replace the trim seals on my 1999 Johnson 150, and am having some real trouble getting the power trim to work again.

System worked fine before the rebuild.

Seems to be a serious air bind issue.

Here is where I am wondering if I did something wrong.

For the tilt rod (the long one in the middle) I removed the nut, and "piston" to remove the cap and replace the seals.
When I reinstalled the nut I did not know the torque spec, but because it needed some help from the hamma' to loosen, I presumed it went back on tight and snugged the washer to the piston. Question 1, is there supposed to be a gap or clearance between the piston and the washer (do those springs and little balls act as a sort of pressure release somehow) and by my torquing it down, cut offf the ability for the trim cylinder to fill?)

I sucked all of the old fluid out with a hand vac, before filling each of the 3 trim cylinders about half way with fresh trim fluid.

I then reinstalled the trim and tilt rods, tightened the caps, and with the engine tilted up, put fluid in the resevoir and operated the trim motor in the up direction. Also went in the down position, all the time adding fluid as required....

Now I can get the trim cylinders to function some what, but the tilt cylinder, still will not "bleed."

I did remove the tilt cap, and operated the trim up and down, I am getting fluid from the port side of the cylinder on the up position, and from the starboard side of the cylinder on the down position.

Is there some trick to bleeding this system I am missing?

Please, and help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

The unit is self beeding (to a point). Gaps needed?.... Gaps would allow leakage!

Fill reservoir, operate PTT electric motor for a few seconds. If no response (with reservoir still filled) apply 7 to 12 psi of air to reservoir (use a rag or something as a air nozzle seal) to force the fluid into the oil pump and other areas. Now, operate the electric motor again. This procedure should result in having the unit function BUT you may need to refill the reservoir, and possibly redo the air pressure thing again. Let us know how you make out.

We got 'er! Turns out one of the little check balls in the piston did not seat properly during reassembly. That is why I was getting incoming fluid on both the up and down mode on top of the tilt rod, it was pumping fluid fine, only the piston wasnt acting as a seal, it was only choking the flow slightly.:rolleyes:

Thanks for all of your help.

Back