Logo

I need advice on what age 15hp 2-stroke to buy

Sin Nombre

I am replacing my '89 8hp Johnson with an Evinrude or Johnson 15hp 2-stroke. My first inclination was to get the newest one I can find, but I have heard the 90s BRP models started using more plastic parts and are not necessarily better than the older models. I have a chance to buy a '79 Johnson from a shop that has been "re-conditioned" and comes with a 30 day warranty. That seems pretty old, and they are asking for more than private party 15s, and it is a 1 1/2 hour drive to see it, so I need to feel OK about buying a 33 year old motor before making the drive.

So what I need help with is, what are considered the best years or decades for these motors assuming they have been maintained to the same degree? Is older, up to a point, an advantage or a problem?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Agreed the newer ones 92 and up run much nicer that the older 9.9 / 15 HP.-The big draw back on the newer ones is the price and availability of the plastic shrouds / cover should you ever need them.----The older ones 92 and older are more rugged in that regard.-----Anything up to 91 / 92 if they come with warranty are worthwile.--Make sure it has a new water pump impeller too.

I have a 94 Evinrude 15HP long shaft remote electric start. I have had it for five years and it has been one of the most reliable, easy starting, smooth running, trouble free motors I have used.

Yes they do run very nice.------------------Bigger bore that the earlier version.Intake porting is totally different.--------Do not leave it exposed to too much sunlight as the plastic cowlings will suffer and they are very expensive now if you can find them.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The reconditioned '79 Johnson that I posted the photo of sold the next day, $650. These motors thtat are in decent condition seem to be in demand.

The replies are telling me that there are not necessarily good or bad years. The main concern of the shop owner who reconditions these motors regarding the '90s models is the cost of replacing the electronic packs. I think I read that the pre-mid '70s motors do not have electronic ignition, use a magneto I guess, and I assume that is not as desireable either?

I may lean toward going with one of the shops that re-conditions motors so I know there will be no surprises.
Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Back