Logo

shift lever adjustment 80 johnson

shawnfish

Regular Contributor
is there a trick to the shift lever adjustment? i loosen the clamp screw and adjustment screw (shifting in to reverse before i loosen screws) then turn the shift lever counterclockwise until the roller is all the way against the stop detent then tighten both back up. but when i check it in forward i can spin the prop 360 degrees, same with neutral and the dog engages in reverse and has a little play but you can feel some drag.

What year is that 80hp Johnson? I'm having a problem understanding fully what you're speaking of.

Are you saying that in forward gear, the unit is not in gear? It couldn't be in gear at all if the prop will turn 360 degrees.

Did the engine shift properly previously? And if so, what was done since then that may have resulted in this problem?

sorry its a 1980 johnson 25hp, the only gear the clutch dog engages is reverse. i just had the lower off and changed the pump,seals and bearings in the driveshaft. shifted fine before and after i put it back together but now it dont want to go in gear sometimes. to get it in reverse from neutral i have to go to fwd, back to neutral then rev and it still wont go every time.

The fact that it shifted fine previously tells the story.

You do not have the shift rod aligned properly within the brass shift connector.

Remove that side plate and take a good look at the shift rod(s)... whichever one you removed the bolt from.

You have either shoved it in too far or not far enough. Look closely at the carbon etc on the rod which should give you a idea..... The groove on the rod(s) must align exactly with the threaded hoses of the brass shift connector.

Remove that bolt, line it up, tighten it. Put the shift handle back to whatever position it was in.

i went back out after my last post and was listening while i shifted and after a few trys i didnt hear anything, long story short thats exactly what i found to be wrong. must not have had the lower rod seated in the connecter all the way when i put it back together...that or did not tighten the bolt enough, so yes that was it and its fixed. thanks alot joe for taking time to help me....i appreceiate it!

Back