Logo

Extreme vibrations from 1997 Johnson Ocean Runner V4 115hp Two Stroke

John Martin

I've go a 1997 model Johnson Ocean Runner V4 115hp two stroke outboard which vibrates violently and loses power at any attempt of giving it some throttle. It seems like the engine gets and loses power in a high frequency, which results in loss of general power combined with vibrations. At idle the engine runs smoothly. Please see the following video for a description of the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghtwn...ature=youtu.be

This is what we have tried until now:
- Changing spark plugs
- Draining carburettors
- Cleaning fuel filter
- Adding condensation water removing liquid to the fuel

If anyone has an idea of what the problem could be, or knows of anything more to check on the engine I would really appreciate your help
smile.gif

How long have you owned it ?-----------Did this problem start suddenly ?-------Did the motor hit anything ?

I have owned the boat for 2 years, and the problem first appeared this summer. The first time the problem appeared the vibrations weren't this bad, and after running the engine idle a couple of minutes it ran smoothly on full throttle again. Then the problem appeared on the next trip with the boat, and I haven't got it to work properly after this. As far as I know the motor hasn't hit anything, and the problem seemed to appear under totally normal circumstances.

If it is overheating, it will go into SLOW mode and limit RPMs to around 2500, and shake.

Just make sure it is not hot first. Do that with a temp gun when it is shaking, or you should be able to hold your hand on the head for about three secs before it gets too uncomfortabe.

Don't burn yourself.

Back