Logo

1965 Johnson 40 hp keeps flooding out.

Bobby Moore

OK so I figured everything out so far. Now I have a problem with the motor flooding out. Gas keeps pouring out of the carb when its running and then it dies because of too much gas. I have taken the carb off, and I cleaned the float out and I sprayed the whole carb with carb cleaner. I have done that twice now and it works for a little while and it ends up flooding out. I even took a carb off my parts motor in hope that it might help, and it worked good for two days. I tried to take the boat out today and it is flooding out again. It is really depressing all the hours I have put into the boat. I don't want to give up but I am the verge. Please help!!!

p.s. The motor runs good when I drain some of the gas out of the bowl and let it run out when the motor is running. It is just getting way to much gas.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)
With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

If the above doesn't solve the flooding problem, then either the float needs replacing OR the float needle valve assembly needs replacing, OR both.

Back