Logo

1982 johnson 60 gear oil leak.

Hi there, I live in Massachusetts and just pulled my old boat out of a barn where I had stored it all winter. I got it home, and it sat in my driveway over night. I noticed the next day it had a puddle of gear oil coming from the where the exhaust comes out in the middle of the prop. I replaced the upper oil seals under the water pump about 4 years back and after removing the lower unit from the engine, I have determined it's not those that are leaking. Times are tough and I do all the work on my toys myself. My question is how many seals are there in for the prop shaft. I know there is at least one I can see after removing the prop, but then when I look further back I can see 3 small bolts, is there another seal behind those bolts too? It looks as tho that is where the oil is pooling up. I also wanted to ask if I need a special puller to pull those pieces out, and how hard of a job is this going to be? Any help or input would be great. I have used this site a few times over the years and it has gotten me through all the different problems I have had with this engine. Thank you for your time!

There is a large oring that goes around the bearing carrier. This may be your problem if it is pooling in the area inside the bearing carrier.

Thank you very much, I imagine that's probably where the problem is. I might as well replace the seals around the shaft while I have it apart. Do I need a puller to remove the bearing carrier after removing the 3 bolts? Thanks

Last edited:
Leakage around the lower unit may well be the oil that is mixed with the gas or fogging oil from winterizing the motor.----------Gear cases can be pressure tested to look for leaks.

Hey there, I am certain it is gear oil. I went to my local marine engine shop and they wanted 100$ just to do the pressure test. I figure since I already replaced the seals on top, and there was no oil present around there, that it has to be the big o-ring around the bearing carrier or the seals around the prop shaft. Just not sure if I need a 3 armed puller to pull the piece without damaging it. The last thing I want to do is damage the entire case. Thanks.

Please need help!!!!, I removed the 3 bolts holding the bearing carrier and my wheel puller wont work for this application. What tool and where can I buy it to remove this?!

Please need help!!!!, I removed the 3 bolts holding the bearing carrier and my wheel puller wont work for this application. What tool and where can I buy it to remove this?!

omc makes the tool for the job, you woiuld have to know the part number of the tool to order it. and dont be suprised if its a couple/few hundred dollars. you need to find a service manual for your motor and that will have the part/tool number you will need. you can find the tools on ebay cheaper sometimes if you can find the tool on there.some parts stores carry mercury/mercruiser tools but i dont think they carry OMC tools although im not sure..

try harbor freight, i bought a bearing puller that has a slideweight/hammer with 3 different length rods and about 20 bearing fittings in a kit for 22.00 and it worked to pull bearings and seals from my drive shaft on my johnson....

Yes unfortunately I smelled it and looked at it, definately gear oil. I will begin soaking it in power steering fluid tonight. I doubt it has ever been pulled before, the boat sat 15 years before I came along and bought it. I have owned it about 8 years now and when I got it I rebuilt carbs, fuel pump, and the oil seals in the top of the lower unit. It's been a great engine, very reliable. I will work on getting the puller this weekend. I'll keep you all posted. Thank you very much everyone for all the help!

Back