Logo

Engine shuts down and will not start

flabob1

Regular Contributor
I have twin Yahama 150 HPFI 2005 Model Z150TXRC.
While trolling I retuned the throttles to idle while I reeled in a fish. During the commotion the right engine stalled and the alarm went off. I than shut down boath engines. Only to find that later the right engine would not start. I figured it overheated. I came back on one engine . Later I found that the oil tank on the engine was full and the pump on the floor tank was pumping. Checked all fuel filters and found no water. Checked water flow out of all weep holes and found good.Therostats were changed last fall.
After checking all this I did find what I though would be the problem.
At the end of the leankage going to the oil pump I found the connector at the pump was broken and the linkage was disconnected . I ordered and installed a new connector.
Now the engine starts for a short time and shuts down with no alarm.
If I keep the switch on but not running the starter the engine will keep on running but rought . Letting go of the switch but not off the engine than shuts down. I only tried this twice.
It is as if a shut down still exist and needs to be reset some how.
Or is it the oil pump. When working the linkage on the pump while the rod was disconnected I could feel a high spot like a cam or something . Could this jambed the linkage and cracked the plastic connector.
Any suggestions would really help at this point;
Thanks;
Bob

Last edited:
This is an update to my above post.
Things are looking better.
I was told I should do a compression check beacuse of the disconnecting of my oil pump linkage.
I did and all checked Ok with 120 psi on all Cyl
Also checked the caps and they checked ok.
But the plugs looked fouled so I replaced them.
Bingo the engine started and after a while it soomthed out. Advanceing both engines together they were within 100 rpms.
But when I advanced the right engine by itself above 3000 rpms it droped down below 1000 rpms. Advanceing it again it was OK but I shut down .

Question now is do I still have a problem that should be looked into or the engine just needs to be run longer .
Don't want to push a good thing.
Thanks for any help;
Bob

Back