Logo

Difference between 1995 Evinrude 25HP and 30HP

drbridge

I have been trying to figure out what the difference is between these two motors and have had no luck. I have looked through every part and number on the motors (using the on line parts catalog) and have found none that are different. They show the same powerhead, carb, manifold, ignition and exshaust. I have an OMC service manual that shows all the same tune up specifications for both models. The only difference that I can find in the manual is that the 25HP full throttle operating range is 4500 to 5500 rpm with power rated at 5000. While the 30HP is 5200 to 5800 with power rated at 5500.
I also have an original 1995 parts catalog that shows some things that the online version does not, which makes things more confusing. It shows a different crank,block, head and carb jets on the 25HP remote models only. While the 25HP sail models and 20 HP models share the same powerhead with the 30HP, Yet everyone I have talked to says that the 20HP, 25HP and 30HP all share the same powerhead.
Any help would be appreciated

your original parts catalog probally shows parts that have been superceded. does the 25 and 30 have the same gearcases? gear ratios?

I have about 10 of the 2 cylinder 20 -35 HP motors for rebuilding.------------On ----shop.evinrude.com--------------you will see that the carburetor jets are different between 25 and 30 HP models. Look for parts called an " orifice " in the listings.-----------Other opinions on marketing strategy and decals on motors will vary.

Crankcase is different between the 25E and the 25EL (435942), and the 30E and the 30EL (435943).

All else being the same...i.e. carbs, carb jetting, etc....sometimes the difference is in the exhaust tuning.
Specifcally, for example, on the V6s they raise the exhaust port top a few thousandths toward the top of the cylinder.
Makes a 225 a 250 with bigger jets of course....

Just a possibility.

Just looked in the FACTORY BROCHURE for 1995 and the 20 / 25 / 30 HP models all have the same gear ratio it is 13:28 for all.

I have about 10 of the 2 cylinder 20 -35 HP motors for rebuilding.------------On ----shop.evinrude.com--------------you will see that the carburetor jets are different between 25 and 30 HP models. Look for parts called an " orifice " in the listings.-----------Other opinions on marketing strategy and decals on motors will vary.

Thanks for the info. I tried the evinrude.com site and found their on line catalog was in line with the original paper version I have. It seems there is differences in the cylinders, manifolds and carbs on the 25 and 30. Still confusing though as the 25 remotes are listed as having parts that are different from the 25 tiller models and that includes cylinders manifolds crankshafts etc. If you look at the 1994 models this is not the case.
My problem is that I have a hermaphrodite motor. The guy I got it from says he put a 25hp powerhead and intake manifold on it, but that everything else came off of the original 30HP. It is in very good condition, but I don't know what year or model it came off of. I am just trying to get it sorted out and up to par and as correct as possible but it is hard to do when I am not really sure what I have.
Is there any way to identify the powerhead itself? I have not been able to find any numbers on the block assembly. I found some on the manifold, but they don't seem to match anything I have been able to find.
The carb is for a 30HP and I have to wonder if that is a good match on a 25HP powerhead it seems to run good opened up but is not as smooth as I would like at very low RPM. It will be used for power and trolling for salmon and will be run in the low rpm range extensivly. This is the first of this type of motor I have had so I am not sure how a properly tuned model normaly runs in the 650 through 1000rpm range.

Last edited:
Back