Logo

Faded Fiberglass Boat

mstrabe

I purchased a 1979 Silverline fiberglass boat which I really like. The fiberglass is oxidized and faded. There are a number of products out there that claim to remove the oxidation. Which ones really work?

It depends on how bad the oxidization is. Generally I trust the 3M products for this type of work. If the ozidization is not really bad, try 3M Color/Gloss Restorer. If that is not bringing up the color and shine the way you want it, then try the 3M rubbing compound, first. Then follow with the color/gloss restorer. When you have it the way you want it, then coat it with Star-Brite Marine Polish with PTEF - two applications. Reapply the Star-Brite at least every year.

I also have the same boat and I have hairline cracks at the back of the boat are these serious concerns? and can they be repaired and covered up? Have you ever replaced the deck on your boat or do you know if it is a big job? I would like to replace the chairs and in places the deck is soft

Hairline cracks are typically cosmetic issues, UNLESS it is an indication of problems with the underlying fiberglas. The only way i know of to fix them is to gouge out each crack (an old style beer can opener works well) fill them, then re-gelcoat. It's typically a pain for me, but I've seen some other folks' work that is fantastic. I would typically hire a pro to do that type of work.

As for replacing a deck - I've not done it. That can be another pain. Highly recommend you find a really good fabricator - rebuilder to make sure it is done right. Also, have them test the soundness of your transom.

Just throwing this out there. You may want to consider an alternate solution using either Red Max Pro 3 (Lowes, $16.99 a gallon) or ZEP (Home Depot, price unknown but probably similar to the RMP3). Take a look at a discussion on a fiberglass RV forum:
I have linked some pages in on the discussion where there is a good set of pictures showing results.

I understand using RMP3 actually started with boat enthusiasts and spilled over into the RV world. I have actually worked a couple of test areas on my 32' Filon covered travel trailer and the results were as good as those reported in the forementioned RV forum. I am waiting for a little cooler weather before I tackle the whole trailer.

Now that I have an old fiberglass boat I plan to apply accordingly and expect to improve the appearance significantly without painful financial drain.

Back