Logo

Mercury 4 GNAT Dumpster dive!!!!! Can't find any info or parts Help please

Doug Ireland

My wife showed up one day with the biggest smile on her face. "Come see what I have in the car" she said. There was a very new looking mercury 4 in the front seat. I am now getting around to working on it.
It's been sitting for a few years and looks like it has not seen much use.
Serial number is 5928125 2 cyl and the only information I can find is that it is from 1980 - 81 and is called a GNAT. It won't need much. there is a broken knob, probably a carb rebuild, and hopefully the ignition is ok.
On the plus side, I took the cover off and found no mouse nest, no dirt, even the plugs looked new. The ignition says "Thunder Bolt 2" on it. Spark plugs are RL82YC. Any direction for parts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Doug

That motor was not in the top 10 on the " hit parade "-------------If it runs then great, if not then you know why it was thrown out.---When a product is only marketed for 2 years there is a reason.

Sorry to hijack a little, but anyone got or can tell me where to find the wiring diagram for the Gnat motors please.

I need colour of wires and where they got to. It's a simple little motor and I done something really silly. Dismantled all three motors and promptly forgot where the wires go.
Thanks in advance

Back