Logo

Honda 40 4 stroke with fuel enrichment will not idle

Rmcvey

I have cleaned carbs 2 times ( dipped in carb solution cleaner) & engine still doing same thing. It wants to start but only for a second. If I remove the fuel enrichment needle on top of carbs it will run but only at half to full throttle. As soon as install the enrichment it dies. I have changed the fuel hose and bulb. The fuel tank is clean and all carbs are getting plenty of fuel. I have pulled the spark plugs and they are dry so the engine isn't flooding out.can you help me get started with the idle? If I need to sync carbs how can I get the fittings for the manifold?(I have the gauges)

Hopefully, you have a Honda shop manual to refer to. The carbs for that have several vacuum and fuel hoses etc on the rear as well as the front of the bank. If you do not put them on correctly, it will not run right.

Sounds like something is restricting air. When you remove the enrichment needle, it allows more air to enter the system. If it enters into the top carb, it will go to all the rest.

So check the hoses. Also, make sure you put the intake manifold gasket , muffler plate gasket and the carb base gaskets on correctly.

I highly recommend purchasing the Honda Marine Carburator Manual http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?Make=MAR&Model=&Year=&Category=&class%5F2=MAR&mk=Honda+Marine&yr=All+Years&md=&dt=&module=&from=result&Style=helm&Sku=TM044&itemtype=N

It goes into nausiating detail (with colored pictures) as to how all of the Honda Carburators work. It has a section for those with thermal enrichment valves...including the 30 - 50 HP. It also has trouble shooting guides. It shows how the fuel is supposed to flow at start, idle, acceleration and full throttle. It shows basically a road map of fuel through the carbs. Nice to know, when you are trying to clean them and do not know where all the passages are.

I still refer to it when there is an unusual situation. I learn something everytime I look at it. Or maybe it is just my bad memory and I keep learning the same thing over and over again.....ground hog day".

Mike

Hopefully, you have a Honda shop manual to refer to. The carbs for that have several vacuum and fuel hoses etc on the rear as well as the front of the bank. If you do not put them on correctly, it will not run right.

Sounds like something is restricting air. When you remove the enrichment needle, it allows more air to enter the system. If it enters into the top carb, it will go to all the rest.

So check the hoses. Also, make sure you put the intake manifold gasket , muffler plate gasket and the carb base gaskets on correctly.

I highly recommend purchasing the Honda Marine Carburator Manual http://www.helminc.com/helm/product...=&from=result&Style=helm&Sku=TM044&itemtype=N

It goes into nausiating detail (with colored pictures) as to how all of the Honda Carburators work. It has a section for those with thermal enrichment valves...including the 30 - 50 HP. It also has trouble shooting guides. It shows how the fuel is supposed to flow at start, idle, acceleration and full throttle. It shows basically a road map of fuel through the carbs. Nice to know, when you are trying to clean them and do not know where all the passages are.

I still refer to it when there is an unusual situation. I learn something everytime I look at it. Or maybe it is just my bad memory and I keep learning the same thing over and over again.....ground hog day".

Mike
Hello Mike
i went backand removed the carbs again and started checking all of the hoses and blowing thru each one of them and found a hose that was plugged with a spider. I mounted the carbs again for the forth time and the engine ruuuuuuuuunnnnss !!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks for making me go back again and check the hoses.

Back