Logo

88 70hp Evinrude Issues

mojack448

I have a 88 70hp Evinrude that doesn't seem to be drawing fuel. The motor will idle then dies on me unless i pump the primer ball again gut will die again. It doesn't seem to be getting any fuel to me. The fuel tank vent is clear and i had all the fuel hoses replaced recently. I had a mechanic rebuild the carbs and disconect the VRO pump last year and the motor would never stay running since. Anybody have any ideas what could be causing this?:confused:

Open your VRO pump, check for broken diaphagm's. You can buy new diaphragm kits at your Evinrude dealer, they are quite cheap.

OK i called my local evinrude dealer and luck has it no diaphram kits available for that year and its 460 for a new pump, can i use the 3 nipple pump and what year motor do the come from?

Your dealer is speaking nonsense !!!-------The repair kits are available.---------Look for the part #'s on ------shop.evinrude.com---------ob accessories ------fuel systems.----You may have to go do different years as they were not listed in each year. All the same kits though.------Then surprise the dealer with the part numbers.-----Maybe he / she will be sharper next time !--------You can also fit the older / cheeeper pump.--Just order one for an 83 -70 HP.

Racerone is right. I'm an Evinrude (/Johnson) dealer for over 35 years and I used and sold many pump repair kits.

Decided to go with the fuel pump from an 83 70 horse i figured i'd try the cheaper route first, so how exactly do you hook the fuel lines up to this thing? I know where the main fuel line goes but what about the other 2 nipples?

Fuel goes from the tank to the filter cover on the new pump.-----------Blow into that one ( gently ) to find where air blows out and that is fuel to the carburetors.--------Remove pulse limiter and install fitting with barb to supply positive and negative pulses to the pump at the third fitting.------------------You could find or order the 83 bracket to hold the pump or simply hang it in place.

Back