Logo

DVA specs needed please

daselbee

Advanced Contributor
I am working on a Suzuki DT20, 1986 model, and I need the DVA specs.

The wires from under the flywheel are black (gnd), black/red stripe and white/red strpe.

If someone could look up the DAV values I should be getting, I would appreciate it.

Also, does this CDI pack generate a spark that will jump the normal 7/16 gap? Or should I narrow down the gap on my spark tester.

Right now, I have a NO SPARK condition.

Thanks.....

Last edited:
Thanks, I am not looking for the part numbers...I am looking for the DVA specs.

Voltages.....specifically the voltage on the black/red wire to ground when cranked, and the voltage on the white/red to ground when cranked.

I am getting 150 V DVA on the black/red, and 0.5v DVA on the white/red.

I think the 150v is OK...that is in line with alot of other engines, but I question the .5v. That is apparently the trigger voltage, and I wonder if it is high enough. Newer J/E engines use .6v trigger, but I am seeing Yamis using from 2.5v to 6v for the trigger value.

I will measure the resistance of that trigger coil today.

Trouble is...I got no manual!!!!

Makes it tough to guess at this stuff......

Bump to keep alive here...

Looking for someone with a 1986 Suzuki DT-20 service manual to post the DVA specs for the ignition on this engine.

Thanks.....

Well.....for those following this...
Crap!!!!

I got the factory Suzuki manual for this 1986 DT20, and went looking for the DVA voltages I needed.

Not there. All they give is the resistance of the coils, and a couple of wire colors/electrical diagrams.

This is very frustrating.

I called Brown's Point and told them the issue...that the manual specifically did not tell me what I needed to know.
The sales guy was actually pretty helpful. He was knowledgeable about DVA measurements, and tole me that way back when, they didn't really have a DVA spec, and the only thing they used was resistance values.

Ok....so I asked him to return any electrical parts I purchased, return them in unopened packaging....nope. Not gonna do it....

OK....so I asked him.....which part sells most? The CDI module or the pulser coil (those are Suzuki's terms), and he said the pulser coil by far.

So I guess I will shotgun the pulser coil...50 bucks....and see.

I will post...the pulser coil (trigger) is hitting at 0.5vDVA at pull start speed with no plugs in the engine. No spark.
Unplugged, it is hitting at about 20vDVA at the same speed.
The power coil...the one that energizes the ignition...is hitting 150vDVA at the same speed. This seems right to me.

But I question the 0.5v on the trigger. Should it be higher or not?

Anyone with practical experience on what I should be seeing is certainly encouraged to post back....

Back