Logo

Close Shave

"After discovering water in th

"After discovering water in the oil of my 3.0 litre GM engine, I brought the cylinder head to a machine shop. They found that it was warped 0.012 inches. They shaved 0.015 inchs off to create a perfectly flat surface.

Do you think that taking this much metal off will have any impact on the running of my engine ? If yes, what should I do about it ?

Thank you for providing your own experience, opinion, and suggestions!"

"Jim

To get more speed out

"Jim

To get more speed out of engine we used to shave the heads to bump up the compression. I see no negative attached to this situation. It should run just fine, and perhaps better then a stock engine. ANd you should be free from head gasket problems. Don't worry about it enjoy the boat"

".015" is quite a bit but

".015" is quite a bit but not necessarily going to be a problem, just make sure the spark isn't advanced too much and listen for detonation."

"Good advice, Jim, for one of

"Good advice, Jim, for one of those cylinders has a bunch higher compression ratio than the others.

Jeff"

With all due respect to Jeff a

With all due respect to Jeff and Jim - I like Capt's the best !

Now if I can just clean the top of the block without scraping it ... perhaps a brass brush.

3M Roloc discs are by far the

3M Roloc discs are by far the best tool for this job. They will remove any foreign material without removing any metal from the block.

"Brown 3M Roloc Disks - got it

"Brown 3M Roloc Disks - got it!

I was concerned that disks might drop some grit that would drop into the pistons. (Even with towels and tape, stuff can drop into the cylinder.)"

"You want the ones that are li

"You want the ones that are like Scotch Brite, not coarse sandpaper."

Back