Logo

shifting question...

shawnfish

Regular Contributor
the other day i ran my hand under the water from the pee hole and thought the water was very hot and that the stream coming out looked weak. so i figured id check my pump, removed the lower and took the pump off it had some wear but the impeller was fine. so i figured id check the driveshaft seals and bearing and the pinion bearing and they looked ok but i figured id change them, also checked the fwd,rev gears and the rest. i got everything back together and before putting the lower on i tried pulling up and pushing down the shift rod and i cant get it to go in fwd or rev. is this normal and should shift ok when i connect the upper and lower shift rod?

we would need a hp and year model or a model no. to advise you further...

But.... Generally you should be able to select the gears with the gearcase off...

Ok...
That unit should shift between forward, neutral and reverse by moving the shift shaft up and down with the gearcase off...
Is the shift pivot pin in the correct location?
If it is, you may need to open up the case again to check clutch dog, cradle and shifter yoke...

I found when putting the lower cover on it is easier to drill a hole in the work bench so it is flat as you put the skeg on. press the fork down into the cradle and put it in neutral line everything up carefully and after you put a couple screws in then install the pivot pin in the shift fork get it snug then test the shift works by turning the propshaft as you shift.

i know it shifted fine before i took the lower off, the clutch dog dont wanna move either direction when everything else is off the prop shaft. its lined up with the little balls and spring like its suppose to be. im gonna oil everything and try what you mentioned above, thanks. fingers crossed lol!

any idea why my manual(service) says and shows gasket sealant applied on waterpump for the 35hp and not the 25hp? i didnt use any but i cant stop thinking i should, like i said it doesent call for it?????? am i good with none?

Last edited:
i didnt exactly do it like you said, i put the lower back on the motor and snugged the skeg bolts and put the pivot pin in and torqued the bolts to spec and it shifts fine now, also put a very small amount of sealant between the plate and gaskets on the water pump....

Back