Logo

1978 Evinrude 75 HP; misfires, battery doesnt charge

JeanArr

Contributing Member
Besides the still not solved problem with the engine not shutting down, the battery does not get charged.
To come back to to the kill circuit... we checked the wiring with an ohm meter and the key switch and all the wires are installed correctly according to the "kill circuit"..... BUT it still doesnt shut down when the key is in the off position.
The battery doesnt get charged, also checked with meter while running.
The ignition needs to be set because the engine misfires sometimes, especially with high rpm.
How do you set it right ?
When turning the key switch, the RPM meter immediatly shows 6000,we checked the wiring in the front everything fits, it may just be broken?

Please you guys i really need some detailed help here, 3 weeks to go then the thing must be running perfectly.

THANK YOU

Kill Circuit.... Disconnect the black/yellow wire at the connector nearest the powerpack... With an ohm meter connected between this black/yellow and a good ground... With key in the off position you should have continuity... With key on, you should not have continuity...

Charging... Ohm meter between 2 yellow wires coming from stator, you should have about 1 ohm... If you do.. replace the rectifier..

Misfire... Start with a compression test, followed by a proper spark test.. Then do a link/sync..

Kill circuit
I have 3 x orange , 1 x black(ground) , 1x black/yellow, 3x brown, 2x green, 1x yellow, 1x purple wires coming from my powerpack, the nearest connector for the kill circuit also has the 3 orange wires for the coils,
from that connector the black/yellow goes to the key switch, in off position continuity;on no continuity.
I really really dont know what i should search for, a ORIGINAL wiring diagram would be usefull.

Charge
Didnt get that.... there is a yellow/red and a yellow wire?

Misfire
Compression is not perfect.... about 6-7 bar, normal are 10-11, remember that the crankshaft was broken/replaced as was the middle piston and rod. Piston rings looked good and had good pressure when inserting.
Sparks are also pretty strong. I just need to set the timing right, may check the timer base....
What is a proper adjustment?

If it helps i could make some pics or a video.... anything I really need some help.

Besides the still not solved problem with the engine not shutting down, the battery does not get charged.
1 - To come back to to the kill circuit... we checked the wiring with an ohm meter and the key switch and all the wires are installed correctly according to the "kill circuit"..... BUT it still doesnt shut down when the key is in the off position.
2 - The battery doesnt get charged, also checked with meter while running.
3 - The ignition needs to be set because the engine misfires sometimes, especially with high rpm. How do you set it right ?
4 - When turning the key switch, the RPM meter immediatly shows 6000,we checked the wiring in the front everything fits, it may just be broken?

1 - Kill Circuit... Keep in mind that when checking the continuity with a ohm meter, the wire being tested must be disconnected at both ends. If the black/yellow wire checks out okay, and the ignition switch "M" terminals function as: (Key OFF = M terminals connected... Key ON = M terminals disconnected), and the engine still doesn't shut down, then one can safely assume the powerpack is defective.

(Ignition Kill Circuit)
(J. Reeves)

A Black wire (ground) should lead from the powerhead to the powerpack. There will also be a Black/Yellow wire leading from the powerpack to a raised "M" terminal of the ignition switch. To complete the circuit, there will be a Black wire from the other "M" terminal of the ignition switch to ground.

When the key is in the OFF position = The two "M" terminals are connected,. effectively shorting/killing the ignition.

When the key in ON position = The two "M" terminals are not connected and the ignition is engaged.

2 - The battery isn't charging and the tachometer is acting up... indicates the rectifier is faulty. Test as follows.

(Small Rectifier Test)
(J. Reeves)

Remove the rectifier wires from the terminal block. Using a ohm meter, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the rectifier base (ground), then one by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, then the red wire (some rectifiers may also have a fourth yellow/blue wire. If so connect to that also). Now, reverse the ohm meter leads and check those same wires again. You should get a reading in one direction, and none at all in the other direction.

Now, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the red wire. One by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, and if present, the yellow/blue wire. Then reverse the leads, checking the wires again. Once more, you should get a reading in one direction and none in the other.

Note that the reading obtained from the red rectifier wire will be lower then what is obtained from the other wires.

Any deviation from the "Reading", "No Reading" as above indicates a faulty rectifier. Note that a rectifier will not tolerate reverse polarity. Simply touching the battery with the cables in the reverse order or hooking up a battery charger backwards will blow the diodes in the rectifier assy immediately.

3 - I assume you're asking about setting the full spark advance timing. It can be set as follows.

(Timing At Cranking Speed 4°)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: If your engine has the "Fast Start" feature", you must disconnect/eliminate that feature in order to use the following method. The "Fast Start" automatically advances the spark electronically when the engine first starts, dropping it to normal when the engine reaches a certain temperture.

The full spark advance can be adjusted at cranking speed,"without" have the engine running as follows.

To set the timing on that engine, have the s/plugs out, and have the throttle at full, set that timer base under the flywheel tight against the rubber stop on the end of the full spark timer advance stop screw (wire it against that stop if necessary).

Rig up a spark tester on the #1 cylinder plug wire. Hook up the timing light to the #1 plug wire. Crank the engine over and set the spark advance to 4° less than what the engine calls for.
It's a good idea to ground the other plug wires to avoid sparks that could ignite fuel that may shoot out of the plug holes. I've personally never grounded them out and have never encountered a problem (fire) but it could happen.

I don't know the full spark advance setting your engine calls for, but to pick a figure, say your engine calls for 28°, set the timing at 24°. The reasoning for the 4° difference is that when the engine is actually running, due to the nature of the solid state ignition componets, the engine gains the extra 4°.

If you set the engine to its true setting at cranking speed, when running it will advance beyond its limit by 4° which will set up pre-ignition causing guaranteed piston damage! You don't want that to take place.

No need to be concerned about the idle timing as that will take care of itself. The main concern is the full advance setting.

Be sure to use your own engines spark advance settings, not the one I picked out of the air here in my notes.

4 - Tachometer reads 6000 as soon as key is turned ON... If new rectifier doesn't cure this problem, either the tachometer is wired wrong or is faulty.

If the above is confusing you to a point whereas you don't understand what has been explained, find someone who does to help you to avoid making expensive mistakes.

Last edited:
Many Thanks to Joe Reeves!!!:D
Problems were all solved, the rectifier was faulty/broken so the battery diddnt get charged as well was the rpm meter wrong. The Kill Circuit also works perfectly now, the problem were many old broken wires on the red main plug.

The ignition also works fine, the only thing left or worth questioning is , when for example half throttle is applied and left in that position the engine seems to get faster and faster by itself ?
Has that to do with the fact that the engine is running out of the water ?

Thanks

only thing left or worth questioning is , when for example half throttle is applied and left in that position the engine seems to get faster and faster by itself? Has that to do with the fact that the engine is running out of the water? Thanks

I've never encountered that... best to see what happens when actually in the water. However, if the engine were slowly running out of fuel (starting to run lean) or if the timer base was sticking slightly and slowly advancing to where it belongs, the rpms would increase.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:
http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Last edited:
Today the new/used rectifier of a 55 hp evinrude arrived. I replaced the old one but when checking with the multimeter
I still have not at least 13 Volt coming out of the rectifier.
I only get the volt of the battery of around 11,6 Volt, when disconnecting the red wire the meter shows 13-20 Volt!?
What the hell? Whats the problem here? Joe?:D

Thanks

Today the new/used rectifier of a 55 hp evinrude arrived. I replaced the old one but when checking with the multimeter. I still have not at least 13 Volt coming out of the rectifier. I only get the volt of the battery of around 11,6 Volt, when disconnecting the red wire the meter shows 13-20 Volt!? What the hell? Whats the problem here? Joe?:D Thanks

I don't fully understand what you're saying here. Whatever voltage reading you obtain directly at the battery, that is actually between the battery terminals, is also what you should be reading between the RED wiring harness/rectifier terminal of the wiring terminal strip.

You say that when disconnecting the RED wire, the meter shows 13-20 volts (13 to 20 volts)? The meter shows that where..... at the engine harness RED wire that normally attaches to the rectifier's RED wire? I don't know how that would be possible unless you have that meter set wrong or the meter is faulty.... OR.... and I surely hope not, that you have more than one battery installed and they're somehow wired wrong... but 20 volts??

If you should have that meter connected to the stator, keep in mind that the output voltage there is AC, not DC.

That engine has a low output ampere stator. Proper way to check charging rate is to have a volt meter connected across the battery terminals, observe the reading, then start the engine and observe again. The voltage should increase somewhat. Best not to mess around with the rectifier to check voltage output.

Last edited:
The red rectifier wire shows when (not connected to the terminal block) connected to the red ohm meter and the black to ground 13-20 Volt.
No 2 batteries installed:D
When all wires are connected to the terminal block i only get a voltage of 11,6 at the red rectifier wire.

You're saying "The red rectifier wire shows when (not connected to the terminal block) connected to the red ohm meter and the black to ground 13-20 Volt."..... A ohm meter reads ohms, the 13-20 figure is not volts!

Do not be taking the RED wire of the rectifier off of the terminal strip. There is no test procedure where you would do that. If you were running the engine with that wire off and hooking up a test meter to it, it's unknown what could happen. Hopefully you didn't damage the new rectifier.... test it as I stated in one of my previous replies above.

As I mentioned in reply/post #9 above, to check the charging voltage output, have a volt meter connected across the battery terminals.

Double check the polarity of the battery to make sure that it has not been charged backwards at one time and that the Positive (+) battery terminal is indeed the Positive (+) terminal. Also double check to make sure that the battery is not installed backwards.

In your PM, you stated that when you turned the key, it pegged the tachometer? If so, something is definitey wired wrong.

I checked just the battery when running the engine and it defenatly does not get charged...
The battery is installed correctly... And the "ohm meter" is a multimeter, with wich i can also read acv dcv and so on.
On the yellow wire coming from the stator i had 25 - 30 volts, the yellow/gray wire has not so much voltage.
Then the yellow wire connects to the yellow of the rectifier as does the yellow/grey to the yellow/grey one.
Now the red wire of the the rect. is connected to the red on the terminal block.

When i measure with meter black on ground and red on red of the rect. I only get voltage of the battery 11,6V
SO no charging.....

Is it possable that one of the coils in the stator is broken?

Last edited:
When i do the small rectifier test i get only a reading in one direction when checking ground to red, yellow, yellow/grey
WHen checking between red and yellow, yellow/grey i do NOT get a reading (in both directions).

When i do the small rectifier test i get only a reading in one direction when checking ground to red, yellow, yellow/grey
WHen checking between red and yellow, yellow/grey i do NOT get a reading (in both directions).

Sound like the rectifier is okay.

Stator test:

Ohm meter set to Low Ohms. Stator yellow wires disconnected. Ohm meter connected between those two yellow leads. Meter should read 0.9 +/- 0.3 ohms .

Ohm meter set to High Ohms. Meter connected between either Yellow lead and ground should not read at all. A reading of any kind here indicates a direct short.

What readings do you get?

I don't understand how a new rectifier can test perfectly and not function.... unless I am misunderstanding how you tested it. At any rate, if it doesn't work and your other mentioned diode setup does, return the first one to wherever you purchased it from.

In reading your 2nd rectifier test over more closely where you stated: "WHen checking between red and yellow, yellow/grey i do NOT get a reading (in both directions)".........

I understood this to mean that you got a reading in one direction but not BOTH directions. If you meant to say that you did NOT get a reading in EITHER direction, then of course I would know that the new rectifier was faulty and would have said so.

Exactly, sorry for confusing you but that was what i meant.
And the "new" rectifier was a used one of an 55hp evinrude, but i got store credit. It was 25$.
But anyways is such a simple rect. the easiest,cheapest, maybe even the best way to go.

Yes, I know.... whatever is the most reasonable way to go, and I understand where you're coming from. I just like things to be original. Glad to hear that you got a credit and they didn't (apparently) give you a hassle. I guess you're good to go now... good luck & happy boating.

Back