Logo

Engine Advice

captainron19

OK So here it goes...
1989 Robalo 2320, center console walk around (no cuddy cabin). It is 23' with an 8' Beam. Both engines are outboard Mariner V6 150's (1989) with a 25" shaft.

Both engines ran strong when I test drove the boat.... had it out with an full open throttle for almost 45 minutes continuous on the bay/inlet with a heavy chop and wind blowing 20-25 so the engines really got a good test. The first run i took it out on the river a week ago with a flat calm my starboard engine stalled twice (go figure). I thought it was just some air in the fuel line but the guy at Marina did a compression test for me and 5 cylinders were good (all 120-125) but the one cylinder had 0 compression. Me and the mechanic at my firehouse took the head cover off and found a blown piston.

I then took it to a marine shop specializing in Mercury and he gave it a look over and confirmed that the piston and cylinder were damaged to the point where it is un-repairable.

I went to a few other Marine shops to inquire on my options. One guy actually said that if I choose to go to a single engine (around 250 HP) I would actually increase my speed and fuel efficiency because the 2 engines on there now weigh almost 425 pounds each. Plus he did not recommend re-powering the bad engine since it is very old.

He also told me I could probably get almost $1500 for the good engine and anywhere from $300-$500 for the bad engine since people are always looking for parts. So I would plan on trading them or selling them to help offset any costs. I know I cannot afford a brand new outboard and I have seen a few good ones online and on ebay for the price range of about $4k -$5k.

The only other thing is..... if I choose to go with a single engine I was told it would have to have a 30" shaft. Right now my 2 Mariner Engines are 25" shafts but they are offset on the port and starboard sides so if I go with one engine it will be in the center of the transom where it is the tallest so the shaft would need to be 30"
Do I seem in the ballpark. I have heard from several people that I could go with a 225 - 250 HP single engine but one guy told me to check into the possibility that my boat is designed to have 2 engines and will not operate properly with a single engine. I know the max HP allowed for it is 300
I am not looking for imense speed..... I just want to get from point A to Point B with mostly operating in the river and bay with the ocassional trip just out of the inlets into the ocean.
Can anyone offer and input if I am on the right track?

there are used boats of that model on the market with one outboard...why not install a jackplate and move your good engine to the center?make sure the jackplate will give you the vertical adjustment you need...then you can decide what you want to do....you are going to need a jackplate or something anyway if you go with a single engine...

think about a rebuilt powerhead? they used to be "cheap" cause there are so many out there. couldn't hurt to look

Back