Logo

BF90 Tach adn Trim guage issues

Bardcard

I have a 98 BF90 on a 96 Javelin. Fairly new to me. The tach and trim guages work if the aux power switch (for electronics, bilge, livewell pump) is off, do not work if this switch is on. Is this a simple wiring problem? I have not started to trace any wiring, wanted to get any input first.

Thanks,

Bardcard

Basically, two things to check.

On most boats, the gauges are wired to the engine harness. Many bassboats are an exception...they are sometimes wired off the master switch or panel switch.

Most likely your toughest problem will be getting under the dash to check things out. I know on most bass boats I get into, I have to be a contortionest to see under there....then all the wiring is packed in like sardines.

Anyway...if you want them to come on with the key switch (which I recommend), look for the following...

The positive terminals are probably looped between the all the guages....which makes be wonder...are there not other gauges in the dash? How are they working?

Lets stop there until I get the answer....that could make your task a lot easier if they work when they should.

Mike

Yes, there are other guages (speed, temp, oil pressure, etc). They are all working fine. The aireator, bilge punp, depthfinder all have power when this aux power switch is turned on. Just those two guages seem to have a problem.

Thanks for your input.
Bardcard

There is no standard temp or oil pressure gauge with honda. Most likely, they are left over from a previous motor (most likely a Mercury) that was installed and are still wired in.

In any case, if those other gauges at least move when the key switch comes on them the rest should be fairly straightforward.

See how the the colored leads loop from gauge to gauge. Hopefully, they left the old harness connected. If the Mercury set up is still there, there should be a purple lead (switched positive) that loops from gauge to gauge. There most likely is a similar wire looping between the tach and the trim gauge. It might be purple or whatever color they chose. The wire will be connected to the "I" terminal, positive or Battery (different manufacturers different designations for the battery post). Follow that looping and see where it leaves those two gauges. It probably goes to the switch that you mentioned.

Take that lead off of the switch or where ever it is going and connect it to one of the terminals with the purple lead of the gauges that do work.

That probably will do it....I am assuming that the grounds (black leads) are all connected together somewhere.

Not seeing it firsthand, it is hard to tell what you have. Just connect it with a temporary jumper, just in case my assumption is not correct. Then you can pull it off quickly during the test.

Bottom line, the switched voltage comes from the engine on a black/yellow lead. It then can be looped from gauge to gauge. Black is ground

That last two sentences may be all you were looking for.

Mike
Mike

Mike

Thanks Mike. I have been away and not able to look back at it yet. Actually, I know the trim guage is Honda, not sure right now about the tach. Will hopefully get back to it tomorrow.

Bardcard

Mike, I have looked at the guage issue further, and this is what I have found so far.

The trim guage is Honda, with #HP-0243-001 on the face.
The tach is also Honda, but no P/N visible.

The trim guage has the following wires (looking from front of guage)
Left side - red/white wire + black wire
Right side - ylw/blue wire + ylw/blk wire + blk wire

Blk wire on rtight side ties in to black wire going to the tach
ylw/blk ties to ylw/blk going to the tach, which also ties to purple going to the fuel and voltage guages.
I have not put a meter to any wires yet, just tracing so far.

Does this give you any more info that would help?

Thanks,

Bardcard

You said that the yellow/black wires loop over to the fuel and voltage gauges...

Do the black wires that are looped between the tach and the trim gauge looped to the fuel and voltage gauges also? Does it go elsewhere? Or does it stop there?

If it stops there....put a temporary jumper from the tach or trim yellow/black to the purple on either the fuel or voltage gauge. Check it to see if that fixes it.

Mike

Back