Logo

Yamaha 40hp 2 stroke 2004, power problem

wingategray

I have a yamaha 40hp 2 stroke engine 2004. It has recently been rebuilt after being seized. The engine starts with the choke and will only idle with the choke on. It will rev when in neutral but gives me no power while in gear and will only idle while in gear though. Cylinder no.2 is working hard than no.1 as its getting hotter. The sparks have be changed, the carb has been stripped and cleaned but the float has not been taken out as the pin is seized in. However it moves freely. The fuel primes fine and does not go soft while running. The coil leads have be switched over to opposite cylinders and it makes no difference. Can you suggest anything? Would compression be a problem as new pistons and rings have been put in?

Could be lots of things, first do a compression test. both cylinders shoud be within 10psi of each other and over 100psi. Lets hear the results

hello bumperfood. thanks for the reply. we sorted the problem and it was down to a fault carb. but still don't know why at the moment. i couldn't compression test it as the tool will take a few weeks to get here so borrowed a carb off a friend and its sorted the problem. i would guess at the moment that its a blocked pilot jet as the main ones are clear, but thank you anyway

Back