Logo

Deep cycle battery restored with Epsom Salt

Honda_B75

Deep cycle battery's left over time produce sulphite crystal. This crystal prevents (insulates) the plates from the battery acid, which causes short discharge and rapid charging. Thus making battery useless

I have discovered this recipe which to my surprise actually brought the battery back to near factory spec. I used a load tester to verify my reuslts

initially 10.5 volts no load, and under load 2 volts

after Empsom salt 13.9 and under load maintained 12.9 for 15 sec (max time on load tester)

recipe is here good luck

o 1
Test the battery to see if it is likely to respond to reconditioning; it needs to register 12 volts on a voltmeter. If it’s between 10 and 12 volts, you may be able to restore the battery to full function, but if it tests at less than 10 volts, you’re probably wasting your time.
o 2
Heat a half quart of distilled water to 150 degrees F, and dissolve 7 or 8 oz. of Epsom salts in the water.

o 3
Remove the battery cell caps. If you have a sealed battery, find the “shadow plugs” that cover openings to the battery cells--you’ll need to drill through these.
o 4
Drain any fluid out of the battery and use a plastic funnel to pour enough of the Epsom salt solution in to fill each cell of the battery properly.
o 5
Insert plastic plugs in the drill holes or replace the battery caps and shake the battery to make sure the Epsom salts solution is well distributed.
o 6
Recharge the battery on a slow charge for 24 hours and then re-install it in your car.

Read more: How to Recondition a Car Battery at Home | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4855050_recondition-car-battery-home.html#ixzz1wjc0ajMx

i used 80 oz by weight Epsom to 1 US gallon of deionized water

the results were very good

just a thought

Last edited by a moderator:
I refurbished my deep cycle battery! There’s a new way called EZbattery (www.EZbattery.info) to bring nearly any type of old battery back to life so it’s just like new again. This method works with nearly every type of battery out there ...and it’s simple and quick. In case you’re wondering, you’ll be able to bring car, phone, and laptop batteries back to life with this. It even works with solar/off-grid, marine, golf cart, and forklift batteries. Plus, many more!

Deep cycle battery's left over time produce sulphite crystal. This crystal prevents (insulates) the plates from the battery acid, which causes short discharge and rapid charging. Thus making battery useless

I have discovered this recipe which to my surprise actually brought the battery back to near factory spec. I used a load tester to verify my reuslts

initially 10.5 volts no load, and under load 2 volts

after Empsom salt 13.9 and under load maintained 12.9 for 15 sec (max time on load tester)

recipe is here good luck

o 1
Test the battery to see if it is likely to respond to reconditioning; it needs to register 12 volts on a voltmeter. If it’s between 10 and 12 volts, you may be able to restore the battery to full function, but if it tests at less than 10 volts, you’re probably wasting your time.
o 2
Heat a half quart of distilled water to 150 degrees F, and dissolve 7 or 8 oz. of Epsom salts in the water.

o 3
Remove the battery cell caps. If you have a sealed battery, find the “shadow plugs” that cover openings to the battery cells--you’ll need to drill through these.
o 4
Drain any fluid out of the battery and use a plastic funnel to pour enough of the Epsom salt solution in to fill each cell of the battery properly.
o 5
Insert plastic plugs in the drill holes or replace the battery caps and shake the battery to make sure the Epsom salts solution is well distributed.
o 6
Recharge the battery on a slow charge for 24 hours and then re-install it in your car.

Read more: How to Recondition a Car Battery at Home | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4855050_recondition-car-battery-home.html#ixzz1wjc0ajMx

i used 80 oz by weight Epsom to 1 US gallon of deionized water

the results were very good

just a thought
Im going to try this today!!

Ok, so I tried this on 2 batteries. One was an older interstate battery that had been sitting for 2 years..it gave it about 9 volts of life and would never fully charge. The other battery was an Everstart that had just come off my diesel tractor and was weak that it could not start the tractor without a boost. It worked on this one! Battery charged up and it is able to start tractor on it's own. Although, I wouldn't chance it 50 miles out in the gulf of mexico.

BTW @Angie Greene's only post (#2 above) on "EZbattery" leads to a scam.:p

Chris, forgive my ignorance, but why in land vehicles and not marine?
It can be more difficult to get a 'jump-start' out on the water.;)

Keep that "Emergency" starting rope aboard and know how to use it. I also have one of those pocket size ("Jum-Pak") batteries that will jump start three cars and has a USB port that will keep my iPhone ('Skipper' Charting app) at 100% all day.

I also have my old BF-100 Honda kicker's charge plug connected and it will restore a totally flat battery in less than :15 minutes to start the 90 HP Yamaha.

In Florida at least (where you don't need maximum "Cold Cranking"), I found that the expensive "Die-Hard" was a waste of money. More (thinner) plates and insulators resulted in shorter life and their "ProRated" Warranty just keeps you wasting more money. The absolutely cheapest batteries always lasted two or three or more times longer.

My boat (GW Spirit 175) has a Costco (cheap) Energizer 95 w/500 Cranking amps. Its still going great after nine years and three months. I monitor its voltage after sitting unused (too often) and as soon as I see a drop, I'll replace it.

Do not bother with a sealed (no-maintenance) battery for a boat. They are very sensitive to charging voltage and most Outboard Charging systems will ruin them in short order. I can't remember when my Energizer last needed any Distilled Water added anyway, water use could be a sign of overcharging.:cool:
Art

Thank's for the response(s).....Sitting here in the middle of Iowa, we can darn near row from the middle of
any lake we're on....so really no worry about dead battery's......not like the "gulf"

----snip---
used 80 oz by weight Epsom to 1 US gallon of deionized water
===========
Wish I'd noted that last statement before finding myself with half a quart of electrolyte looking at an empty group 24 battery going "duh..."
:p

Back