Logo

Mechanical steering - sticking

wynjim55

Regular Contributor
I've had my boat for a little over 12 months now and what may be common knowledge to a lot of others is all new to me. If you have what seems like a very obvious suggestion re this problem please post it. Unfortuantely I keep my boat out in the elements with only a tarp style cover and every time we experience a significant amount of rainfall I find that the steering cable binds up. The first time it seemed that the cable was tight inside the sheath, this time around the piston was bound inside the tilt tube (disconnected the nut and the steering arm and the cable sheath would move along the cable when turning the wheel). How can I elliminate or minimise this issue? I've been told not to apply lubricant/grease/anything, others say to use a water disperssant/lubricant regularly. Any and all suggestions greatfully recieved, thanks.

Thanks kimcrwbr1, I've been greasing the pivots and tilt mechanism (outside of tilt tube not where cable is) regularly and that is keeping things in that department moving nicely. So far I've only bound small sections of dry cloth strips into a rope and pulled that through the tilt tube (inside where steering cable goes) to remove any rubbish. It doesn't seem to have cleaned it up all that well so as you suggest something stronger seems like the next logical step. I was trying to locate a round brush simillar to what is used to clean rifle and gun barrels but (thankfully) there aren't many firearms out there with a bore the size of the tilt tube. A solvent would be the next best thing and probably less harsh on the metal surface.

You can saw a split down a wooden dowel rod and slide sand paper into the slit and wrap it so it is just lose in the tilt tube and use a drill to clean the tube. Use marine grade grease and replace the steering cable in the tube. Replacing the seals should also be done .
Oldman570

Has anyone had experience with the tilt tube nut having a nozzle fitted to allow light oil to be applied to the steering cable?
50-28261.jpg

You can saw a split down a wooden dowel rod and slide sand paper into the slit and wrap it so it is just lose in the tilt tube and use a drill to clean the tube. Use marine grade grease and replace the steering cable in the tube. Replacing the seals should also be done .
Oldman570

I've done a few things along those lines, replacing the seals and packing in marine grease to keep the nasty stuff out. Cheers.

use the tube nut with the zerk to put a "waterproof marine" grease into the assembly...will provide much better protection that any oil

Back