Logo

Newbie B100L questions

jerryotis

Hi Everyone,

I just received a B100L Honda outboard. It had been sitting several years and appears to be in great shape. I hung it on the back of my boat and it started after only a few pulls. I took it to the lake today just to run it around a bit but it's giving me some trouble. It only wants to stay running when the choke is closed. If I push the choke button back in and try to throttle it, it dies. Pull the choke lever back out and it fires right back up. If I try to engage the prop, it dies. It did take off briefly (about 50 yards) and then died again. I suppose I should assume that the carb is dirty/varnished? Would you recommend completely disassembling it or can I do something simpler? Is there a filter somewhere?

Where do you recommend I buy a manual? I would really like one specifically for this motor (serial # B100L-1400571) and I'd like to determine the model year as well. In looking through the forum, there seem to be an abundance of very helpful and knowledgable people here and I'm encouraged that I might be able to make this motor purr with your help! Thanks in advance

Jerry

The carburetor is quite simple , take it apart for cleaning. --------------Take your time and look for all the small passage ways and make sure they are clean.--------------Use --------------boats.net -----to get more info on parts diagrams there.

Ok, took the carb off, cleaned it thoroughly, put it back together. Where do I start with the adjustment on the air bleed screw (?) on the side? Do I bottom it out and then back it out a certain number of turns? Besides the idle adjustment, it seems to be the only adjustable component on the carb.

Back it out about 1 3/4 turns.

You are right on that being the only adjustment other than the idle stop.

Be sure to let the motor warm up before you adjust the idle/mixture.

Mike

Back