Logo

Use of stop leak products

diveryates

"Dear sirs,

Some months bac

"Dear sirs,

Some months back we had a productive discussion concerning rust build up around the starboard, middle exhaust ports on my '83 mercruiser 305. I used JB Weld ( 2 photos were attached) to build up lost casting material on the head exhaust port area and filed flush with the other ports. This part of the fix {apparently} is working. I think I eliminated the possibility of water leaking down from the riser by replacing the manifold and risers and see no water marks from that area. I have put some 50 hours on the engine. All is well except I am now noting the start of the presence of a small amount of rust seeping from the Manifold/head/gasket junction at the same location.

Question: What is likely here? a leak from the exhaust fix or possibly a hairline crack in the head causing the rust/leak problem in the first place and I missed it?

Water is slowly seeping from somewhere when we are at speed. I do not see active leaking at idle.
Assuming there is a hairline crach in the head, will an aluminum leak seal powder or similar product fix for such a leak?
Would giving it a try cause any problems?

Your comments would be appreciated.
regards, Roy"

"IF you have A FWC system, the

"IF you have A FWC system, the aluminum powder stop leak works very well--my Conquest turbo with a cracked head ran for years that way.

I suspect the J B Weld is breaking down from the heat. If so, you might want to try some high heat epoxy--I've seen it advertised somewhere.

Jeff"

"Ayuh,.....

I'd say you

"Ayuh,.....

I'd say your JB Weld trick Isn't Working...
And,.. It's Time for a Replacement Head......"

"Roy: if the JB Weld was put

"Roy: if the JB Weld was put there for cosmetic reasons, then remove it and clean the area of all rust; navel jelly works but follow directions carefully. After it is cleaned and dry, apply several coats of RUST STOP spray. It converts rust to a dark coating and will keep the rust from returning if done properly. Then apply several layers high temp epoxy paint.
Guy"

Back