Logo

New Honda BF50 or BF60 for trolling?

jmomc345

I have a 1988 Starcraft SFM 16 that I would like to repower. It has a 1988 48hp Evinrude on it now. The boat’s original spec says it weighs 650 pounds dry. It has a maximum rating of 90HP. I am primarily interested in smooth slow trolling – not top speed. The BF50 would seem an ideal replacement. However, the BF60 (not the high thrust model) looks interesting. It weighs only 25 pounds more than the BF 50 and is available with Variable Speed Trolling where the speed can be adjusted in 50 RPM increments with a toggle switch.

Can BF50 trolling speeds be adequately adjusted with the standard control box throttle? How sensitive is it? Greater than 50 RPM increments?

Has anyone used the Variable Speed Trolling accessory with the BF60? How well does it work? Do you think it would adjust/control trolling speeds better than the BF50?

Is the BF60 too big for my boat if I am primarily interested in trolling?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I run a BF50 on a 16' fiberglass boat , trolls all day at 1000-1300 rpms.
pushing the boat about 2 knots.
Top speed about 25 knots at 5500 rpms.
These are great motors with minimal problems.
Just keep the oils changed and run them !
A buddy has the variable troll function on his Yamaha 70, and it is a nice feature.

I would go for the BF60 , Blast technology with variable troll speed
make it a better choice.
I guess you are looking at new motors, I'm wondering what the price difference is ?

I was told told the 60 is about $1000 more than the 50. And I assume the Variable Speed Trolling accessory for the 60 is extra but I have no idea how much.

Thanks Dark_Star I guess I will have to contact Honda USA directly for more recommendations. My local dealor is clueless and didn't even know about the Variable Trolling Control available on the BF60.

The 60 with the variable trolling control will give you more precise control of the trolling speed that manually with the 50. I have not seen one on the 60, but I have installed one on a new 115 and it is really slick.

The difference in motor prices is about $1100 retail and the trolling control switch and harness runs between $100 - $150 depending on the how you boat is rigged. You can save a little money using your own spdt momentary switch and about $60 in harnesses and connectors.

Mike

Thanks Mike for the additional info. The 2011 Honda catalog says with the Variable Trolling Control you can adjust rpms from 1000 down to 750 in 50rpm increments. I would think VTC on a BF60 would provide much more precise control over trolling speeds than a BF50 with standard throttle control box. And with the right prop I hope the BF60 would be good match for my fairly lightweight 16' Starcraft SFM aluminum boat.

OTOH, why isn't VTC available for the BF50? Could I add VTC to a BF50 myself with the spdt momentary switch and harnesses and connectors you mention above?.

The trolling control is controlled by the ECM on the engine. The 50's computer evidently does not have that capability and no matter what you hook up to it, it most likely will not work. Most likely it is just the victim of too early in the evalution of the mid range fuel injected Hondas. No knowledge of what will be in the future.

Go to the following Honda web site and enter your info....aluminum , monohull, 60 you will get a couple of performance reports that should give you an idea of performance on your boat.

http://marine.honda.com/products/performance

Looks like it will work well....as long as the boat's max horsepower rating is 60 or higher.

Mike

Last edited:
My boat is rated for 90HP (that was in 1988 before the heavier 4 strokes). But the weight of the BF60 (239) is only 21 lbs more than the 1988 Evinrude 48HP SP that is on it now. So if I want the VTC option it looks like the BF60 is the one. Thanks.

Back