Logo

225 prop shaft service bulletin. How important?

Illesheim71

Contributing Member
The Honda Service bulletin SBPE 20040 concerns adding a shim to reduce prop shaft end play (fwd & aft movement) from .50 mm to .35(+-.05) mm. My engine currently has .50mm end play. I've had no problems with noise or metal in the oil (390 Hours on eng). How common are problems concerning this end play? Is this something I should attempt (or let the dealer do it?) Or should I let well-enough alone? Adding a shim requires a $79. spanner wrench. :( TIA

That Bulletin No. is SBPE 200240.

Last edited:
Yep - 02 engine with only 390 hours will always be an issue. As for the end play in your prop shaft - I really don't have any experience with that. Personally, I would tend to let it go and just watch and listen carefully for excess noise coming from the lower end. I would also contact a good Honda shop and ask their advice and ask them to discuss the consequences of not replacing the shims.

wow i HAVE 02 HONDA 1550 HRS You aren't getting enough time on that baby sorry :) Never heard of that bullentin never performed on mine that I am aware of

You should take it to your dealer and have them perform the Service Bulletin for the Wiring Harness Recall. http://marine.honda.com/owners/recalls
It is listed as an open campaign for your motor. Even though you are out of warranty, it is a safety issue and they will do it at no charge. They may have to call Honda to get their ok, but any official recall is done even if out of warranty.

Mike

While it is there, ask them about the prop shaft end play.

Mike

My concern would be gear lash related to end play too much lash will burn up gears faster than too little and that is a spendy repair it would cause me to research it further. What exactly is the reason for the SB.

Here's what the SB says "Due to excessive free play in the thrust direction of the prop shaft ,the fwd bevel gear may leave the correct position in low load conditions. At this time, the gear may run in an incorrect contact position, causing the gear teeth to take a large amount of stress.

symptom: The gear case may become noisy due to a broken tooth or the gear oil may be contaminated with metal particles before the maintenance schedule.

Back