Logo

BF90 Shift Shaft too short now

Rapacious

I have a Honda 90 and the shift shaft seems to be too short now. When I put the lower unit on, the shift stem barely goes into the shift shaft. After a little while of running it slipps out (probably due to vibration). I looked at my other engine and noticed at the top of the shaft where it goes into the head I can see some of the spline, yet on the engine with the issue I see none. Have I managed to push the shaft too much into the shifter? Is this possible? I really don't want to take off the powerhead if possible. Any suggestions on what to do?

Most likely, your e clip (part #36) came off and shift shaft A (part # 6) was pushed up into your flywheel housing.

You need to somehow pull it back down and make sure that the gears are clocked correctly for proper shifting.

Then put washer #30 on and the e clip to hold it all in place. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/2006/BF90A6%20LRTA%20/SHIFT%20SHAFT/parts.html

You just have to be patient. It can be done. Otherwise, you have to remove the power head....and I do not think you want to do that.

Be patient...

Mike

Thanks hondadude, but I checked that first and the E-clip was still intact, and the shift shaft gear seems to be in alignment still. This evening I removed the lower unit and used a pry bar to pull the shift shaft down about 5/8 inch, and I can see the spline coming out the bottom of #6 just like the other engine. I am able to push it up and pull it back, so I am a bit worried that it will migrate up again and I will have the same issue at an inopportune moment (since last time the engine shifted into forward from neutral on it's own). I have decided to drill a very small hole (5/64") thru the center of the shift shaft just below #6 and insert a cotter pin so the shift shaft will not be able to slide up. I happened to have an extra long drill bit and managed to get about half way thru the shift shaft so far while it is in place. The drill bit is now dull (I think it started that way since I used plenty of oil during the process), so I am going to try and find another long bit tomorrow. May have to order one online to complete this job. I figure if the shaft breaks from having this tiny hole in it, I will need to replace the whole assembly anyway, so why not try this easy fix first.
Once I have it back together I will let you know if this worked. I think I drove the shaft beyond it's normal depth into #6 by misaligning the lower unit once, since I remember hearing a pop once when I was tightening the lower unit bolts.

Back